How should I aqauscape?

BleachedCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have some live rock for a 125 gallon tank, and some reef cement. However, how should I build the rocks to make sure everything grows well? As in, should I focus on making tunnels for fish? Should the structures be built like swiss cheese, with holes through them? Is it ok to have flat tops? (I heard it's bad for flow).

For reference, here's the corals ide like to place:
Green Star Polyp, Pulsing Xenia, Kenya Tree, Mushrooms, Zoa's, leather, hammer (possibly, I hear that's a little more advanced; also, as an aside, if you think my coral choices are bad, please let me know if there's better alternatives or something).

Thanks for any help!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have some live rock for a 125 gallon tank, and some reef cement. However, how should I build the rocks to make sure everything grows well? As in, should I focus on making tunnels for fish? Should the structures be built like swiss cheese, with holes through them? Is it ok to have flat tops? (I heard it's bad for flow).

For reference, here's the corals ide like to place:
Green Star Polyp, Pulsing Xenia, Kenya Tree, Mushrooms, Zoa's, leather, hammer (possibly, I hear that's a little more advanced; also, as an aside, if you think my coral choices are bad, please let me know if there's better alternatives or something).

Thanks for any help!
The way you might start is to understand the habit of the fish you want to buy. Do they live in a place where they can dart into the rocks? Do they school? For the coral, find out what light intensity they prefer. Arrange the rock scape so there is enough room for the low light type and the high light type.

Upvote 0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list of coral choices will have no trouble at all growing on your rock work. I’d first design the rock thats both pleasing and functional for your fish to swim through and hide etc and then glue or mount your corals where they’ll get enough flow and light. Good luck!!!

Upvote 0

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

You will want to see what kind of needs the fish you are looking at will need. Some might like small caves and tunnels to hang in and others like more open of a area to swim in. Corals we can always find a way with placement for them. You always want to make sure you do not disrupt the flow you need in the tank.

Upvote 0

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquascaping secion of the forum is useful, but especially going through thread helped me a lot: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/need-help-with-your-aquascape.385531/page-87

You'll find a ton of ideas plus see all the positive/negative feedback that other's have gotten. The good news is that with a tank that size, you'll be able to have different sections with a variety of scape.

As for the coral, I would do some more researh on Green Star Polyp, Pulsating Xenia and Kenya Trees. Those 3 can sometimes be considered invasive in their growth rates and can take over a tank more than people often want.

Upvote 0
Back