How soon is too soon to use activated carbon?

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about activated carbon. My phosphates and nitrates are low and I’m worried of stripping my water of the nutrients it needs to keep my corals healthy. Recently I’ve been having cloudy water after over doing reef roids so I’ve been thinking about using some activated carbon to clear it up. This tank is currently only two months old and I’m wondering if it’s too soon yet for carbon.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a reason to use it, then I say use it and monitor your parameters. Start with half whatever the recommended amount is and adjust as necessary. Heck, remove it after your issue clears up. I only run carbon when I need it, not full time.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime
I run it 24-7
I did stop RR year ago, jump in nutrients.
Back to phytoplankton and zooplankton.

E1001D8F-4C4A-4218-A1F1-48E61B2ED594.jpeg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used carbon 24/7/365 since I started my first tank in the mid 1980's. Although you can just toss a bag in your sump someplace, for best results a reverse flow reactor (so that the water comes in from the bottom and pushes the carbon towards the top) will give you the best results.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much any time. Although I don't know if carbon will clear the reef roids... A small micron filter sock will take that out pretty quickly for sure

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to take over but ....
If I have a refugium, will running carbon cause a negative effect on the fuge? My chaeto is dying anyway and I have never ran my carbon reactor on this tank yet. Same like TheSkrimp my tank is only 2 months old. Not enough nutrients maybe for the chaeto? Been dosing chaetogrow. Not helping at all.

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to take over but ....
If I have a refugium, will running carbon cause a negative effect on the fuge? My chaeto is dying anyway and I have never ran my carbon reactor on this tank yet. Same like TheSkrimp my tank is only 2 months old. Not enough nutrients maybe for the chaeto? Been dosing chaetogrow. Not helping at all.
As far as I'm aware, carbon will not affect chaeto in any manner.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Carbon shouldn't strip nutrients

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is used to absorb contaminants and such. It will not remove nitrate and phosphate. I run carbon periodically just to be sure (incase of air fresheners or the like building up in my tank). It will also remove any discolouration from the water.

You may be confusing activated carbon with carbon dosing which is a completely different thing and WILL lower nutrients?

PS. I run a refugium with cheato and have never had a problem running carbon.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is used to absorb contaminants and such. It will not remove nitrate and phosphate. I run carbon periodically just to be sure (incase of air fresheners or the like building up in my tank). It will also remove any discolouration from the water.

You may be confusing activated carbon with carbon dosing which is a completely different thing and WILL lower nutrients?

PS. I run a refugium with cheato and have never had a problem running carbon.
Aaaah ok got it- yes im Not gonna carbon dose -just planning to pack in my carbon into my torq reactor. My water is kind of meh- and I’ve got some stringy brown stuff growing. Not sure if the carbon reactor will help with that. I vacuum it with my fluval filter vacuum as much as I can.

5A3E5A1D-54BA-4046-8FD9-B821DC5807AD.jpeg

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaah ok got it- yes im Not gonna carbon dose -just planning to pack in my carbon into my torq reactor. My water is kind of meh- and I’ve got some stringy brown stuff growing. Not sure if the carbon reactor will help with that. I vacuum it with my fluval filter vacuum as much as I can.

5A3E5A1D-54BA-4046-8FD9-B821DC5807AD.jpeg
Yer, activated carbon may help with that depending what the cause is.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back