How to ‘tune’ Tunze 9001 skimmer

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Tunze 9001 skimmer and it’s been running for about a week and I’m having no luck decreasing micro bubbles and cup overflows every few minutes. I’ve tried looking it up and there’s so many different opinions out there I don’t know who to listen to. I have it set to recommended water line and it’s in a chamber that doesn’t fluctuate. I have the air line completely open. It’s in the surface skim configuration. I want to know how other people had best luck breaking it in if that be at a different water level or air intake not fully open. Maybe it’s not breaking in because I have a pretty bare system as I’m awaiting an order of live rock so there’s really only live sand and some ghost feeding to add to nutrient levels. Thank you.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would keep raising it until it stops overflowing. the MB probably wont stop until you get it slimed up and broken in. it may take 4-6 weeks.
So leave the air completely open and just raise it out of the water in increments until it stops overflow? And I’m new to skimmers and saltwater, how high should the foam be in the tube?

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what worked for me. My tank was mature btw.
Place skimmer in water with water level on the line. CLOSE the airline. Don’t break the tube but get the air down to nothing. And slowly open it in half turns or quarter turns. Take the cup off so you can watch the bubbles start flowing.
When I started and saw the bubbles going nuts and cup filling up, I knew the air was the problem being wide open.

Attachments

• 70531E0F-3C99-4D35-A4E6-C3E49FAF6841.jpeg
    70531E0F-3C99-4D35-A4E6-C3E49FAF6841.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 251

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is the internal flow within the 9001? 25 gallons/hour if i'm right? If you put it in a 125 gallons/hour flow backchamber/sump, you are only skimming 20% of the water (1:5 ratio).
Is this worth all the hassle/space/extra costs?

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is the internal flow within the 9001? 25 gallons/hour if i'm right? If you put it in a 125 gallons/hour flow backchamber/sump, you are only skimming 20% of the water (1:5 ratio).
I don’t know but I bought it when I was very new and thought it was necessary. Looking back I wouldn’t have bought it but I got it dialed in now and it is pulling a lot of dark skimmate for me

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I miss that part? Why would you put this little bitty skimmer on a 125? This is marketed as Nano equipment

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I miss that part? Why would you put this little bitty skimmer on a 125? This is marketed as Nano equipment
He meant put it in an area that gets 125gph flow through it. My system is only about 35-40 gal total and it claims to be for tanks up to 37 gal. I have a fuge for export as well :)

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He meant put it in an area that gets 125gph flow through it. My system is only about 35-40 gal total and it claims to be for tanks up to 37 gal. I have a fuge for export as well :)
I see now. but I think even in a high flower area the 9001 would do a decent job. Its not a big system and would still see some benefit.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see now. but I think even in a high flower area the 9001 would do a decent job. Its not a big system and would still see some benefit.
Oh yeah for sure. Between my fuge and the skimmer it may be a little overkill but we’ll see once my tank matures a little more!

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know but I bought it when I was very new and thought it was necessary. Looking back I wouldn’t have bought it but I got it dialed in now and it is pulling a lot of dark skimmate for me
I had same issues when I started using mine. I was ready to sell it and then eventually it became dialed in and works well.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my example (1:5 ratio, 25 g/h skimflow in a 125 g/h sumpflow), the benefit is 20% less gunk which turns into nitrates.
So instead of let's say 10ppm nitrate you'll end up with 8ppm nitrate after a certain time.

The question was is this worth the hassle/costs. :)

With big skimmers you can reach 1:1 like ratio's. Nów we're talking. The problem however is how do we get a bigger skimmer fitting in the backchamber of a nano. I'm thinking about a pump in the first compartment, and attach this with a hose going over the first compartment into the second where the skimmer is. The skimmer can be much bigger then. It will stick out more but i don't mind that.

kevin eebb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what worked for me. My tank was mature btw.
Place skimmer in water with water level on the line. CLOSE the airline. Don’t break the tube but get the air down to nothing. And slowly open it in half turns or quarter turns. Take the cup off so you can watch the bubbles start flowing.
When I started and saw the bubbles going nuts and cup filling up, I knew the air was the problem being wide open.
Hi I read your post and I tried it but I wanted to ask you so I turn off the valve closed and then open slowly and when I see some bubbles I leave it and don’t adjust anymore ? Please help

Back