How to “coax” an anemone out

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Yesterday I purchased my first anemone, a Hawaiian Punch BTA. I placed it in a good spot, and within a few hours, it moved to the back corner, barely within viewing range. Now I know that a nem will do what a nem wants, but I was wondering if there’s any way to “coax” it into an ideal location. I’m glad it found a spot that it likes, but I didn’t exactly buy a $100 nem only to see a single tentacle…

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Yesterday I purchased my first anemone, a Hawaiian Punch BTA. I placed it in a good spot, and within a few hours, it moved to the back corner, barely within viewing range. Now I know that a nem will do what a nem wants, but I was wondering if there’s any way to “coax” it into an ideal location. I’m glad it found a spot that it likes, but I didn’t exactly buy a $100 nem only to see a single tentacle…
Is it on a rock or is it on the glass? If it’s on a rock try moving the rock you a nice viewing range and then see where it goes from there. If it’s on the glass I would move the light over more to it to discourage it from being there.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain... One of my brand new RFAs I got a couple weeks ago, decided to tuck itself into a deep crevice in a rock on the underside. I want to get it to release and move it somewhere else, but I don't want to injure it.. Following this one!!

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Only way to really do this is to move the rock. Once they have a good hole to anchor into, they will likely stay even if the rock is moved. Otherwise you can adjust the flow in the tank and potentially force a move.

that said, I WOULD DO NOTHING NOW. It likely is not settled in anywhere yet. Wait a month and if still in the back try one of the above things.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also. If it does well, it will grow and will split. My small silver dollar sized bubble tip is now three taking over my tank. So patience doesn’t hurt either. they can grow quickly. Don’t feed them more than once a week. It will have the opposite affect.

Attachments

• 4DEE23AC-BD33-4877-B181-4CA90234E5A5.jpeg
    4DEE23AC-BD33-4877-B181-4CA90234E5A5.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it on a rock or is it on the glass? If it’s on a rock try moving the rock you a nice viewing range and then see where it goes from there. If it’s on the glass I would move the light over more to it to discourage it from being there.
It’s on the rock.

I could try moving the rock, but maybe I should just wait and see what it does. Thanks!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do anything. It's likely not settled. Anything you do now is just adding to transport and new water/light stress.

If you want to move it later, there's a sticky at the top of the clownfish and anenome section on safely removing anenomes.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on the rock.

I could try moving the rock, but maybe I should just wait and see what it does. Thanks!
Yes. Definitely wait, you could end up chasing your tail. Move rock and then Nem moves and then move rock and then Nem moves. All it does is stress the Nem and they are tough to keep to begin with.

I’d wait a month and then move the rock if still hidden. Once BTA’s survive a month or two they generally do pretty well and are pretty hardy in my experience.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is the most important thing. Nems are tough but they find places that they like, lighting, flow, etc etc.

Mine started with a small single creature and has split dozens of times. Not always the best view but eventually there is plenty to look at.

IMG_1318.jpeg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way to really do this is to move the rock. Once they have a good hole to anchor into, they will likely stay even if the rock is moved. Otherwise you can adjust the flow in the tank and potentially force a move.

that said, I WOULD DO NOTHING NOW. It likely is not settled in anywhere yet. Wait a month and if still in the back try one of the above things.
Spot on !!!

Back