How to “plant” red ogo

ellismac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I just received some red ogo, and silly me I was under the impression it came more like a plant with a stem than just a bunch of pieces. I’ve seen people post a few different ways of getting it to stay put but I’d like to see some opinions of people who have got it to stay secure in a tank. Would you use super glue? Or wedge it under a rock?

thanks for the opinions!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using fishing line to anchor would likely work best (since Ogo is made of numerous strands) and I believe this is what @Tigahboy uses when he cannot secure his macroalgae within his rockwork. However, my experience was somewhat frustrating. I tried using it to attach Sargassum to my live rock (not because of its composition, but because it should be placed under high flow), yet since I attempted to do this underwater (I did not want to expose my rock to the air), this was incredibly tedious and I eventually forced the algae into the rock, as best as I could, instead. Looking back, I probably should have used longer fishing line filament to make the job easier.
Superglue gel works well, but it is unsightly and sticks to your hands for days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ellismac

ellismac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using fishing line to anchor would likely work best (since Ogo is made of numerous strands) and I believe this is what @Tigahboy uses when he cannot secure his macroalgae within his rockwork. However, my experience was somewhat frustrating. I tried using it to attach Sargassum to my live rock (not because of its composition, but because it should be placed under high flow), yet since I attempted to do this underwater (I did not want to expose my rock to the air), this was incredibly tedious and I eventually forced the algae into the rock, as best as I could, instead. Looking back, I probably should have used longer fishing line filament to make the job easier.
Superglue gel works well, but it is unsightly and sticks to your hands for days.
2B7EB58B-C864-448E-98D1-7103CD81A6EA.jpeg
Thanks for the fishing line suggestion! It was in fact kind of a pain but worked out well. Took rocks out that I wasn’t worried about and tied it to them!

Back