How to acclimate gorgonian?

tippytango

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am VERY excited that my new purple photosynthetic brush gorgonian is arriving tomorrow! This is my first time having a coral shipped to me and sounds like gorgonians are pretty sensitive…So, I don’t want to anger it even more after it’s trip across the country!
What are your tips for acclimation? Considering they love light, should I still do a light acclimation? Or do I only need to worry about water/temperature acclimation?
Also, any gorgonian care tips much appreciated! Thanks!

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of gorgonians too. I would suggest starting it out on the sand bed and move it up slowly over a couple of weeks.
I don't dip them and I don't drip acclimate either. Just check them super closely for pests and get them in the tank.
They can be prima donnas too so don't freak out if they close up completely every now and then for no apparent reason. lol
As you know they love light and flow.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
this does not directly apply to gorgonian's, but with all corals i receive via shipping i do the following:

temperature (float) acclimate in my sump(if space is an issue, i turn off my display tank lights and acclimate by floating the bags in the DT)
i dip the corals two or three at a time in a large container with Coral RX and then in another container containing reef primer. i will add, that the container with the coral rx has the water that came with the corals and the one with reef primer has tank water. i then place into a 3rd container with some iodine where they sit while drip acclimating with tank water. i then rack it/them on a frag rack in my DT for observation. after observation i then glue it to where i want it.

i do not QT corals, although after a small bryopsis situation, i may consider getting a small QT tank for corals. or even just remove the frag from the plug it came in and glue it on a new plug.

edit: my frag rack is off to the side in my tank, slightly below the middle to accommodate for light acclimation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tippytango

tippytango

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of gorgonians too. I would suggest starting it out on the sand bed and move it up slowly over a couple of weeks.
I don't dip them and I don't drip acclimate either. Just check them super closely for pests and get them in the tank.
They can be prima donnas too so don't freak out if they close up completely every now and then for no apparent reason. lol
As you know they love light and flow.
Thank you! No drip acclimation? But should I float the bag to help acclimate temperature? Or just check it over and stick it in the tank!? Seems like a shock? And good call on starting off in the sand bed… I was thinking of right away gluing it where I want it but I will help ease it in on the sand! Thanks!

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can float the bag if you like, it would probably help..definitely wont hurt :)
This is just how I deal with gorgonians, other corals I have a more involved procedure.
Hope it helps and enjoy your Gorg!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back