How to add a 5 tang gang to a new tank?

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New restart. 72x24x24 180g or 72x30x24 225g.

Would like to keep 5 tangs in the tank:

Chocolate
Tomini
Twin Spot or Blue Eyed
2 of Yellow/Purple/Scopas

Additional fish would include a school of 5 Anthias, couple of Clowns, a blenny.

What is the best way to introduce that many tangs to the system?

Do I add the Anthias first and then all the tangs at once down the road?

What about the 2 bristle tooth and the Chocolate as cleaner crew followed by the last 2?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ready for the tang police to pounce but I have a 750XXl (basically a 180) with 3 yellow tangs, a purple tang, a chevron tang, a powder blue tang, a clown tang, and a regal tang. All have been together for 3 years without casualty and all but the yellows have been together longer than that from my last tank.

I would suggest you add tangs first. They are great utilitarian fish that really help manage algae. Anthias are cool but don't do much for the tank. I would try to add at least 2 tangs at once. Adding a single tang is hard. I have added a single tang at a time but there is lots of aggression. If you do add one tang then make sure the new tang is larger than the old tangs. This will help the newcomer stand more of a chance.

I would also strongly consider some form of social acclimation when adding tangs to a tank with existing tangs. I use a CPR in tank fuge to isolate new additions and let them adjust to the tank while not getting picked on. https://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RCPR03337

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chocolate
Tomini
Twin Spot or Blue Eyed

Additional fish would include a school of 5 Anthias, couple of Clowns, a blenny.

What about the 2 bristle tooth and the Chocolate as cleaner crew followed by the last 2?

[/QUOTE

Chocolate
Tomini
Twin Spot or Blue Eyed

Get a fish trap and a qt tank for the tangs. Introduce fish by small to large. Especially the tangs. Use the fish trap to acclimate and to catch any aggressive or bigger tang if needed. Put it in the qt for a couple days before reintroducing. Allows for the others to settle in peacefully.

Rearranging the rocks helps change the territory as well. Make sure there's a cave for each to sleep to avoid aggression at night and limit jumping. IME

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back