How to adjust the gate valve on red sea reefer

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something i got from red sea so thought id share with you helped me a great deal. The only thing i dont agree with is the fact they recommend water level to be about 1cm below the emergency pipe.. i thing its better and easier to have a slow trickle going through the emergency

First turn off any internal flow pumps, this will ensure the issue is the flow adjustment and not the weir being surged by flow pump wave action. Turn the valve fully clockwise to close the valve, this will send the water over the centre pipe which is the overflow.
Slowly open the valve, allowing a few minutes between each adjustment, when you get to final adjustments they will be no more than 0.5 to 1mm increments. You will see the level fall lower than the centre pipe overflow, you are looking for a level 1 to 2 cm below the top edge of the over flow pipe.

The large bore pipe on the right underflows, the overflow point of this pipe is lower than the centre overflow pipe, the balance between the main down flow pipe and the overflow is what ensures the silent operation. Once you have a balanced quiet down flow you can restart any internal pumps, if the weir becomes noisy again alter the height or the flow cycle of the flow pumps so as not to surge the weir.

If you are having issues opening and closing the down flow valve you will first need to check the diaphragm within the valve is clear of any obstruction, maintenance of the down flow valve is a simple procedure as follows.

1. Stop the main return pump and isolate from the mains to prevent accidental starting.
2. Open the down flow valve fully allowing it to drain to the sump.
3. Remove the bolt dust caps and remove the four screws with an Allen key.
4. Gently remove the head of the valve.
5. Clean the body of the valve whilst it is still attached, remove any deposits from the head of the valve, you may need to remove the diaphragm and soak in a weak acid solution (White Vinegar) this will help remove and calcium and bio film deposits. The valve head may look typically look like the following.
cid:image006.jpg@01D39B40.A06C4A20

Before Cleaning After Cleaning
6. Then simply replace the Valve Head ensuring the lugs shown in the after-cleaning picture are horizontal, these will locate into lugs on the valve body.
7. Replace the four screws, when reassembling the valve assembly on the body, ensure that all four screws are tight enough to give a watertight seal however do not use excessive force.
8. Replace the rubber plugs.
9. Return the main return pump to service and check for leaks.

Another known issue is one of variable mains voltage, this alters the hertz cycle of any return pump that is of an AC type, we have found that DC pumps which are transformed offer a much more stable voltage offering a more stable flow, this is also something worth consideration

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question but why do you need a gate valve there anyways?

If you want to adjust the water level in your overflow box wouldn’t you need to adjust the pipes?

I’m sure there is a good reason I’m having a hard time visualizing haha

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something i got from red sea so thought id share with you helped me a great deal. The only thing i dont agree with is the fact they recommend water level to be about 1cm below the emergency pipe.. i thing its better and easier to have a slow trickle going through the emergency

First turn off any internal flow pumps, this will ensure the issue is the flow adjustment and not the weir being surged by flow pump wave action. Turn the valve fully clockwise to close the valve, this will send the water over the centre pipe which is the overflow.
Slowly open the valve, allowing a few minutes between each adjustment, when you get to final adjustments they will be no more than 0.5 to 1mm increments. You will see the level fall lower than the centre pipe overflow, you are looking for a level 1 to 2 cm below the top edge of the over flow pipe.

The large bore pipe on the right underflows, the overflow point of this pipe is lower than the centre overflow pipe, the balance between the main down flow pipe and the overflow is what ensures the silent operation. Once you have a balanced quiet down flow you can restart any internal pumps, if the weir becomes noisy again alter the height or the flow cycle of the flow pumps so as not to surge the weir.

If you are having issues opening and closing the down flow valve you will first need to check the diaphragm within the valve is clear of any obstruction, maintenance of the down flow valve is a simple procedure as follows.

1. Stop the main return pump and isolate from the mains to prevent accidental starting.
5. Clean the body of the valve whilst it is still attached, remove any deposits from the head of the valve, you may need to remove the diaphragm and soak in a weak acid solution (White Vinegar) this will help remove and calcium and bio film deposits. The valve head may look typically look like the following.

6. Then simply replace the Valve Head ensuring the lugs shown in the after-cleaning picture are horizontal, these will locate into lugs on the valve body.
7. Replace the four screws, when reassembling the valve assembly on the body, ensure that all four screws are tight enough to give a watertight seal however do not use excessive force.

Another known issue is one of variable mains voltage, this alters the hertz cycle of any return pump that is of an AC type, we have found that DC pumps which are transformed offer a much more stable voltage offering a more stable flow, this is also something worth consideration

Great write up, I'll add that swapping the stock valve for a true gate valve is a NICE upgrade!

This might be a dumb question but why do you need a gate valve there anyways?

If you want to adjust the water level in your overflow box wouldn’t you need to adjust the pipes?

I’m sure there is a good reason I’m having a hard time visualizing haha

Gate valves are used in the "herbie" overflow. the pipes in the Red Sea tanks can't be adjusted (Or they could be but they aren't parts you can pickup locally if you break one). The idea behind the gate valve is to create a full siphon and not let any air into the plumbing. Also eliminating any noise!

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I think I just got it after a few google pictures....the main drain pipe is underwater in the overflow so to control the flow to your sump you need the valve. This would also mean you need a valve on the return to match the flow in and out...maybe?

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up, I'll add that swapping the stock valve for a true gate valve is a NICE upgrade!

Gate valves are used in the "herbie" overflow. the pipes in the Red Sea tanks can't be adjusted (Or they could be but they aren't parts you can pickup locally if you break one). The idea behind the gate valve is to create a full siphon and not let any air into the plumbing. Also eliminating any noise!

Gotcha! Thanks!

OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I think I just got it after a few google pictures....the main drain pipe is underwater in the overflow so to control the flow to your sump you need the valve. This would also mean you need a valve on the return to match the flow in and out...maybe?

You really dont need a valve for the return pipe.. the max flow recommended for these tanks varies from tank to tank.. best to check with red sea or on their website get the recommended flow for the return pump or less and adjust the main drain valve to the pump..

OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks pelphrey maybe make a vid on your youtube channel

shoggoth43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last part in their information is critical. You'll want to select either a DC pump, or one of the AC pumps with the RPM/flow stabilization in them. We have a LOT of people who have Red Sea tanks complain about having to constantly mess with the valves either daily or every few days. Usually once we put a Vectra or similar on there it's rock solid after they dial in the valve. This applies to any tank that uses a Herbie style overflow such as Red Sea, Waterbox, Elos, etc. Bean Animal overflows can handle a wider range of fluctuation without becoming noisy.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HIGHLY DISAGREE ON THE SLOW TRICKLE INTO THE EMERGENCY PIPE! It's for emergencies only, I currently have my E-260 water level set at 1" above the main drain.

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree............ the emergency pipe is elevated over the sump to let you know when water is tricking down it. The ol "grandfather takin a pee" sound is to alert you that you have a clog in the main down pipe. I took the Red Sea gate valve off and put in a True Gate valve from Bulk Reef Supply. I currently have her open all the way and have no issues. The Red Sea valve is garbage.

If you must adjust it........... you need to think of the valve as a clock............ make small adjustments to the valve as if you were the seconds hand on a clock. VERY SMALL INCREMENTS.......... then wait to see how flow behaves.

OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, great thread!! I was pulling my hair out today trying to get to the bottom of all the noise on my RS250 and this did it, thank you!

I noticed a lot of people were changing the stock red sea valve for a different one and having issues adjusting the valve.. so thought id share this to help more people out there

petethesweep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys - have a quick question for my new set up. have eshopps S overflow and a gate valve. the water level in the overflow keeps going up and down and while its ok becuase it spills into the emergency its a nuisance. is this because of my AC pump changing the setting i have on it? or due to evaporation? please advise

OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys - have a quick question for my new set up. have eshopps S overflow and a gate valve. the water level in the overflow keeps going up and down and while its ok becuase it spills into the emergency its a nuisance. is this because of my AC pump changing the setting i have on it? or due to evaporation? please advise

you need to make adjustements and give it a while... some valves can take a while to adjust usually a few minutes. Also if you have wavemakers or flow that are random when they ramp up and down that will increase the height of the water in the overflow... so try to lower the level a little more to compensate for this

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last part in their information is critical. You'll want to select either a DC pump, or one of the AC pumps with the RPM/flow stabilization in them. We have a LOT of people who have Red Sea tanks complain about having to constantly mess with the valves either daily or every few days. Usually once we put a Vectra or similar on there it's rock solid after they dial in the valve. This applies to any tank that uses a Herbie style overflow such as Red Sea, Waterbox, Elos, etc. Bean Animal overflows can handle a wider range of fluctuation without becoming noisy.
100% with you!
I run a Vectra on my 425xl and once I dialed it in, it was rock solid.
After water changes or maintenance on my tank, I still don’t need to mess with it.
It stays dialed in.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the DC pump. We have a sicce DC pump and I barely fiddle around with the stock red sea gate valve anymore. Maybe once every 2 weeks I adjust it just to satisfy my OCD.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back