How to attach a tube/pipe to the rounded side of a glass bottle?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on an idea for a phyto grow setup. I've got some glass jars that would be perfect containers, but I need a way to connect an overflow to them.
The bottoms are flat, so I could theoretically drill and put a bulkhead on the bottom with a piece of pvc coming up the middle. I'd rather find something like a bulkhead for a curved surface (if there was such a thing) and run some silicone hose out from near the top. Any suggestions?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used some air tubing connectors as tiny bulkheads, but not on curved surface, mostly just flexible (like a plastic bin).
Curious to see this idea...

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on an idea for a phyto grow setup. I've got some glass jars that would be perfect containers, but I need a way to connect an overflow to them.
The bottoms are flat, so I could theoretically drill and put a bulkhead on the bottom with a piece of pvc coming up the middle. I'd rather find something like a bulkhead for a curved surface (if there was such a thing) and run some silicone hose out from near the top. Any suggestions?
The water pressure for an over flow would not be large so maybe just plastic tubing jammed through a slightly smaller hole. Be careful pushing the hose through. Wear gloves in case the glass container cracks.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that if not under pressure the silicone idea would work. I also think that drilling a smaller hole than the tubing would work as well. Maybe cut an angle on the tubing to help “thread” it through the hole. Warm up the tubing before pulling it completely through…may also help seal it when it cools.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you not want to do it the usual way?
IMG_3886-L.jpg

it works
IMG_3935-L.jpg

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make this one continuous culture, so I'll have a peristaltic pump pushing water into the container, and the overflow will take the finished phyto into the sump for distribution. Plus, I already have the glass jars and the drill bits, so it's something to play with lol

Why do you not want to do it the usual way?
IMG_3886-L.jpg

it works
IMG_3935-L.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back