How to attach black background to inside of tank?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know those roll on black backgrounds that people are supposed to tape to the back of their tank?

My tank has custom overflows that are permanently blue. Plus the back wall was painted blue from the outside and there’s no way to scrap it off because I don’t have access to the back.

My only option is to attach the background from the inside.

How can I do this?

A dream solution would be to find a paint that can go on the inside of the tank, but it sounds like that doesn’t exist based on what I’ve read.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t the magnets look funny all over the back wall?

I am draining my tank and drying the wall. Changing the background was something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.

I was thinking of using super glue. Would that work?

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t the magnets look funny all over the back wall?

I am draining my tank and drying the wall. Changing the background was something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.

I was thinking of using super glue. Would that work?
It would but I like the magnets. Can remove to clean if need be or if you get tired of the black. Don't need many. Probably around 6. 3 across the top and 3 across the bottom just to keep it in place. Won't even see the bottom ones as they'll be behind your reef/corals. Since they are black you prob will hardly see the ones at the top and once they covered with coralline no one will ever know.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can make this tricky is if you have cross bracing or a frame around the top of the tank. If you plan to leave it in then will just take some finessing in and since its flexible shouldn't be a prob. I was planning to do what's outlined by Reef-Tripp in the Copps build. Bought the product and then realized that once I get it in, I can never get it out again given that I have bracing and my reef will prohibit me from removing it. So decided to not go that route.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it depends on what you like. IMO, it looks nice and is less distracting if the background is a solid black or blue vs. covered with coralline. With this product, you simply remove it, scrape off the algae and return. Check out the link, you'll see what I'm talking about. Far easier, then having or trying to get behind your reef with a scraper and do it by hand.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has an acrylic slab smack on the middle of the top of the tank.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seriously considering black silicone on the inside. Or maybe I’ll squeeze through and scrap off the blue paint from the back.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to scrape paint off an acrylic back? Is there anything I can do to make this process easier

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Look for the string of the copps tank he uses a plastic background that explains what they use in public aquariums.

Yeah, that's what I was going to bring up. He uses Kynar sheets and keeps a spare, when the background gets covered in coraline, he takes it out and replaces it with a spare. The dirty one gets cleaned in the driveway with muratic acid and waits for its turn.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back