How to attach Montipora Capricornis to back wall of tank

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of pieces of Montipora Capricornis that I need to move. I am thinking I will break off some of it and give to a friend and then maybe mount a piece or two on my back wall of the tank in the corners. Any suggestions on how to stick the frag against the glass and will it attach without relying on an epoxy or something?

I even thought of piling up a few rocks to give it something to sit on but get the back edge to stick to the tank, with hopes of removing the rock supports in a month or two or even plastic bottle or something.

Somebody has got to have a good idea?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pink cap that attached to the back and when I removed the rock underneath it it held fine and even held the rock it was sitting on, on the glass with it. It was in the corner though which I think helped.
I would use a piece of small tile and glue the cap to it on a 90 angle then let it cure and use a piece of pvc pipe to support the fragment and glue it to the back corner. Even the flat back glass will work too if you use good enough glue and do it right. Once the cap starts encrusting onto the glass it will hold itself steady and not fall off. Just be careful around it until it’s got to this point.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one of these
A2B179E5-A621-4D81-9C7A-D700F24B39A1.png

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some Ceramic Ferrite Disk Magnets. Apparently Ferrite magnets don’t rust or corrode in saltwater. I painted them with a half dozen coats of plastidip for extra protection and to stop them scratching the tank. Superglued one disk to the bottom of a Frag plug, other magnet goes in AIO chamber (or outside back wall) and bingo - magnetic frag plugs.
Coral should grow off the plug and onto the back wall. Give it a few months to spread, then break off the original frag plug and move it to another part of the back wall to repeat the process.
They’re also great to glue to algae clips, thermometers, backup pumps etc - anything you want to attach to the glass but don’t want to deal with suction cups falling off.
742677DB-37DD-4FDD-AA7C-9753B8B59D70.jpeg

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had gluing work for me but I used those cool single frag holders and they work great until it gets too heavy for the magnate

Aquagen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flat disc frag plug. Dremel/grind/file a shallow slit across it. Glue the frag into the slit. Glue the disc to glass. Glue will scrape off if you change mind.
Iv done this with monti, acro, gsp and zoas

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are a much easier way to do this. Ignore the one star review. I have used about 100 of these with zero issues.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some Ceramic Ferrite Disk Magnets. Apparently Ferrite magnets don’t rust or corrode in saltwater. I painted them with a half dozen coats of plastidip for extra protection and to stop them scratching the tank. Superglued one disk to the bottom of a Frag plug, other magnet goes in AIO chamber (or outside back wall) and bingo - magnetic frag plugs.
Coral should grow off the plug and onto the back wall. Give it a few months to spread, then break off the original frag plug and move it to another part of the back wall to repeat the process.
They’re also great to glue to algae clips, thermometers, backup pumps etc - anything you want to attach to the glass but don’t want to deal with suction cups falling off.
Thank you

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great. Do you have a link to the magnets you bought?

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These started out as little one inch frags super glued on their edge to my overflow box. You just have to hold it in place until the glue hardens or it'll fly right off once you turn the flow on.

20220509_104648.jpg

Last edited:

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can also Use silicone to glue a small piece of rock to the glass, and use gel to glue the frag to the rock.

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great. Do you have a link to the magnets you bought?
Sorry for the delayed reply.
These are the ones I got:
I'm in Aus so may not be relevant. But I looked for the best pull force in a reasonable size. The magnets aren't SUPER strong, they can get knocked off if you bump 'em hard enough. but the snails or abalone haven't budged them.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delayed reply.
These are the ones I got:
I'm in Aus so may not be relevant. But I looked for the best pull force in a reasonable size. The magnets aren't SUPER strong, they can get knocked off if you bump 'em hard enough. but the snails or abalone haven't budged them.
Thanks so much! This helps a lot. :) I always find it best to get products that have worked for other people, especially something like magnets.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back