How to Balance out Comp 1+ 2+ 3+ to Three Even Doses

Discussion in 'Aquaforest' started by GoVols, May 2, 2017.

1. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember

This post has been updated to the new formula with the blue containers.
    If your using the white containers the Mag is in Comp 1+ with the cal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off this thread is based on that you already have your big-3 inline and stable before you start Comp 1+ 2+ 3+ or you want to switch over to Comp 1+ 2+ 3+ as your long term dosing method that also provides the many benefits of continual trace element dosing in between water changes in an easy to preform manner while using a very stable product with fantastic long term results for your corals growth, color and over all health.

If you have a new setup and "all" of your big 3 are not dropping then your reef is not ready for Comp 1+ 2+ 3+. On a new setup your alk can drop from the nitrogen cycle process but that does not (necessarily) mean that your young reef is in-taking cal or mag.

If your reefs big-3 are not already inline and stable then get that issue resolved first and then start the process of locking in Comp 1+ 2+ 3+ to three even doses.

Alright, It takes awhile for your ions to level out to make 3 even daily doses per component + parts.

Simplest way to to look at three Component +'s
    Component 1+ = Cal
    Component 2+ = Alk
    Component 3+ = Mag + Continual coral trace elements that are in salt mix.

The key is to lock in the dose of Comp-2 to the alk you want first.
    Use that dosage for Comp-1+ and 3+ and don't change their dosage unless you have to up or lower Comp-2+ dose.

Most likely your Cal and maybe Mag will drop lower than you desire. (Your Ions have not balanced out yet)

Do not use Comp-1+ or Comp-3+ bring up those parameters!
    They have other stuff in them and you'll never balance out to 3 equal daily doses per day, per part. You will be just chasing.

So, Here's what to do. As long as Comp-2+ still has got your alk locked in.

Bring up your Cal and or Mag with "pure" chemical forms.
    I used SeaChem "Reef Advantage" Cal powder and Mag crystals to keep those two parameters in check until my ions balanced out.

You could use AF pure Cal and Mag to do the same thing. I just had some "Reef Advantage" buckets in my garage.

After two weeks my ions balanced out and was at 3 equal daily doses per all three components + parts and put "Reef Advange" back in the garage.

I have seen other reefers that took up to a month to six weeks but they stayed the coarse and kept their patients but they all locked into three even doses using this method.

Always kept dose the same for Comp-3+ to Comp-2+ and never changed that dose from Comp-2+. Again, Comp-3+ is Mag + trace elements.

When Comp-1+ 2+ 3+ first hit the US, Deep Water Aquatics took the time to teach me this method (from AF Poland) for locking in all 3 parts equally. They were new to it too and were correct on how to do it.

Used this product for 7 months and once it was locked in, it never got out of balance.
    As my alk intake went up so did my cal and mag. So Comp 1+ and 3+ stayed inline with 2+ as my coral intake went up.

When making water changes you need your parameters to be close to your display so Comp 1+ 2+ 3+ stays locked in.

Hope this helps and is typed in a understandable format.

Regards, GoVols

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017 at 9:43 PM
    Peng, DJ Monty, MrMichael and 4 others like this.
    Tags:
  2. Anirban

Anirban Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member

Great write up Freddie...
    I hope this will clear up few doubts over the method of dialling in.

jsker, 120reefkeeper and GoVols like this.
  3. GoVols

Anirban,
    If done properly with patients it does balance out. :)

~ Freddie

jsker, 120reefkeeper and Anirban like this.
  4. Perry

Perry Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Awesome evaluation Freddie, I agree it takes time, but when balance is achieved, things take off! Great write up my friend :)

5. Anirban

It does my friend and once it is set its very easy to control;Shamefullyembarrased.

jsker and 120reefkeeper like this.
  6. GoVols

+1
    And a top notch AF product. :)

7. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

Great write up Freddie! Spot on!

Cheers!

jsker and GoVols like this.
  8. Anirban

Its possibly one of the finest product which I use and blindly endorse that it works. If anyone want to get rid of all individual dosing and just depend on this its perfect...:D

9. swayd

swayd Well-Known Member

How would I match my WC water to my display water? Would it work to test the WC water before starting the components to set my display as close to the WC water as possible, so it stay pretty consistent? Or would I have to add Cal Mag and Alk to the WC water as needed?
    I can't imagine AF reef salt will be far off from my display water, especially when dosing the 3 + components.

Also, I just started using the Bio S and am now on week 2. When do I start to use the -NP Pro and when should I start using the 3 + components?

Thank you

10. GoVols

I was already running the AF Reef salt and it's parameters for months and then Comp (1-3) came to the US later.

So I matched up Comp 1+ 2+ 3+ to the AF Reef salt parameters in my display and dropped my old dosing method.

I made sure to keep my display parameters in check to the AF Reef salt parameters at 1.025 sg.

I don't care what salt brand you use or trust: It is always wise to check your SG and big-3 every time you mix a new bucket or box for the first time.

jsker and Anirban like this.
  11. swayd

swayd Well-Known Member

Ok makes sense.
    I have the components ready to go and I am using the AF reef salt. Going to wait another week or two before I start using the components then. I just did my first WC with AF salt, I'll give it some time so I can test and get a good baseline reading with the tank being on AF salt.

12. GoVols

:D :rolleyes:

I think it may have been a big help for me because my reef had already been fully transferred over to the AF Reef Salt before Comp (1-3) came available. :)

But... (lol) I can't prove it. :)

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    jsker likes this.
  13. GoVols

I just wanted to help users with balancing out Comp 1+ 2+ 3+.

And it's a wonderful product.

At this time I'll step back and let AF US support answer any questions. They are way more advanced reefers than myself and they fully understand the AF product line.

Regards, GoVols

120reefkeeper, Anirban and jsker like this.
  14. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Partner Member

Freddie
    Great write up, I wished I had this when I first started using 1+2+3+:oops:, just to add. I found the more times per day dosing the easier it was to steady out my alk. FYI I dose 8 times per day.

GoVols likes this.
  15. Anirban

I must quote this statement....."They are way more advanced reefers than myself " ......lol
    If you look at my reef you will not follow any of my advices...too many experiments with too many products combination.

GoVols and jsker like this.
  16. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Partner Member

Freddie, I do not think you will get off that easy, have have a great knowledge of reefing and I enjoy your input :)

Anirban and GoVols like this.
  17. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

I think you've got a pretty good grasp on the product line Freddie!

GoVols and jsker like this.
  18. GoVols

Not Really but (lol) after 30+ years of marriage :) I do know how to follow directions... or not. :D

Anirban, jsker and 120reefkeeper like this.
  19. GoVols

@swayd
    Did you use the method above and if so has your 3 part balanced out to three even doses.

Thanks, Freddie

20. swayd

swayd Well-Known Member

I have not yet began to dose. I am still trying to get a good baseline reading and will probably start dosing in the next week or so. I will let you guys know how it goes.