How to Best Mature my Nano Tank and Reduce Phosphate

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is very little green algae growth but I thought that was because most algae fed off nitrates...I know that although .25 phos is high and can interfere with coral growth but do you think it will inhibit coralline growth if that number is correct? BTW, the nitrate test should definitely be accurate since I used two separate tests, one of which was Aquaforest Pro Test
Nitrates are more accurate than that style po4. Maybe you could send water off for an ICP test? And .25 isn't crazy high. But it may not even be the right number. I truly think it's off

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are more accurate than that style po4. Maybe you could send water off for an ICP test? And .25 isn't crazy high. But it may not even be the right number. I truly think it's off
Ok, so I'll continue to feed the tank and get my nitrates up a little higher and keep an eye on the phosphate as well to see if it rises as well...I've never dealt with dinos before but from my understanding, they should slowly disappear as nutrient levels rise, correct?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos have to be IDd correctly to get rid of. A microscope is key in this. There are a couple of great FaceBook groups that will help ID and help you fight them.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos have to be IDd correctly to get rid of. A microscope is key in this. There are a couple of great FaceBook groups that will help ID and help you fight them.
What's your opinion on my test reading of .25? Are you skeptical?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I'll continue to feed the tank and get my nitrates up a little higher and keep an eye on the phosphate as well to see if it rises as well...I've never dealt with dinos before but from my understanding, they should slowly disappear as nutrient levels rise, correct?
There are 2 main types. One lives in the sand and one goes into the water column. The one in the sand is basically fought by encouraging algae to grow. Dosing silicates is a great way to do it. The one in the water column is fought with a UV light. Get a positive ID first.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 main types. One lives in the sand and one goes into the water column. The one in the sand is basically fought by encouraging algae to grow. Dosing silicates is a great way to do it. The one in the water column is fought with a UV light. Get a positive ID first.
Although I'll have to try to ID them, I can tell you with certainty that they're in the water column...they settle on my rocks in the flow of my powerhead and I have to use a toothbrush to get them off

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I'll have to try to ID them, I can tell you with certainty that they're in the water column...they settle on my rocks in the flow of my powerhead and I have to use a toothbrush to get them off

Is there an alternative way you know about besides using a UV?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I think it might be diatoms instead of dinos...would that make more sense?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you doing water changes? Do you have any snails or crabs? You could also upgrade your filter or get more or better filtration media. I would stop dosing and do more water changes to get the tank stable
Sorry I missed your comment earlier...water changes about every week and a half and no thing but a star and a couple hitchhiker crabs...with the filter the only reason I have it is to put carbon or other media somewhere but I might get a bigger one...why stop dosing? I'm aiming to increase my bacterial diversity and population size for the health of the future fish or corals (I'm in a velvet fallow period right now)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I think now that it's diatoms that I'm dealing with because I read that they look like brown dust settled on the rocks and sand sometimes which is exactly what mine looks like. When I brush it with a toothbrush, it comes off the rocks like dust as well...

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone experiment with aquaforest life source for this? It is fiji mud essentially, seems pretty good formaturing a tank fast

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone experiment with aquaforest life source for this? It is fiji mud essentially, seems pretty good formaturing a tank fast
I'll check to see if it's available here...I'm really trying to make my microbiome in my tank as diverse as possible

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on the look for it as well, havent seen any available near me (USA)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back