fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#06 How to Build and Maintain a Reef Tank -Flow and Wave Makers

In this episode I am talking about the impotence of water movement in the reef aquarium, and how What powerhead I am using and what program to make my sps corals happy

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I’ll talk about the different kind of rocks and how to aquascape, choosing sand in addition to start cycling the Tank. Live Rock is the Main Biological Filtration in the reef Tank. What makes the rocks alive, are the many forms of micro and macroscopic marine life that lives on and inside of it. The rock itself is only made up of the calcium carbonate skeletons of old dead corals.

Thank you for organizing these tutorials on Reefkeeping. After 50 years of reefing, I still enjoy learning. While I only watched this one episode, I appreciated how you showed pros & cons to different methods.

I will critique your grouping bristle worms into pest category with introduction of live rock. As a proponent of natural filtration, skimmerless & sumpless, I am most interested in micro fauna & fana in sandbed. Instead of nutrient export, I focus on nutrient recycling. I emulate nature as much as possible in establishing live food webs which process both organic & inorganic nutrients and feed the tank. To that point, @Dana Riddle articles in Advanced Aquaria illustrates these food webs beginning with carbon introduced to the reef via carbon dioxide combining with alkalinity to produce glucose during photosynthesis, which is “where the inorganic & the organic world come together”.

Bristle worms are with out a doubt the most effective detrivore in the CUC. I consider myself the most important janitor in the clean up crew. As a good manager, I find other ways to do the dirty work. Instead of gravel vac sandbeds clean, I allow live food webs to feed my tanks which feed differrent hungry mouths. I do not haphazardly add predators like wrasses to decimate the sandbed detrivores.

Keep the videos coming.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for organizing these tutorials on Reefkeeping. After 50 years of reefing, I still enjoy learning. While I only watched this one episode, I appreciated how you showed pros & cons to different methods.

I will critique your grouping bristle worms into pest category with introduction of live rock. As a proponent of natural filtration, skimmerless & sumpless, I am most interested in micro fauna & fana in sandbed. Instead of nutrient export, I focus on nutrient recycling. I emulate nature as much as possible in establishing live food webs which process both organic & inorganic nutrients and feed the tank. To that point, @Dana Riddle articles in Advanced Aquaria illustrates these food webs beginning with carbon introduced to the reef via carbon dioxide combining with alkalinity to produce glucose during photosynthesis, which is “where the inorganic & the organic world come together.

Bristle worms are with out a doubt the most effective detrivore in the CUC. I consider myself the most important janitor in the clean up crew. As a good manager, I find other ways to do the dirty work. Instead of gravel vac sandbeds clean, I allow live food webs to feed my tanks which feed differrent hungry mouths. I do not haphazardly add predators like wrasses to decimate the sandbed detrivores.

Keep the videos coming.

Thanks for your input , and info, I categorized bristle worms into pest because there are some kind of bristle worms that can damage and eat fish and corals. there are the good guys and the bad guys, but I was speaking in general.

Thanks again for your feedback , any comments or info are always welcome. my goal here is to share knowledge and methods that follow with all reefers , and in this hobby everyday there is a new thing to learn.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input , and info, I categorized bristle worms into pest because there are some kind of bristle worms that can damage and eat fish and corals. there are the good guys and the bad guys, but I was speaking in general.

Thanks again for your feedback , any comments or info are always welcome. my goal here is to share knowledge and methods that follow with all reefers , and in this hobby everyday there is a new thing to learn.

With more than a few thousand species of bristle worms, exceptions that are bad overshadow the general rules. Kind of like sensationalizing the news to increase popularity.

Bristle worms are opportunistic. Peppermint shrimp, Coral Banded shrimp, Emerald Crabs, Arrow Head Crabs could all be considered pest as most things in the marine environment are opportunistic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With more than a few thousand species of bristle worms, exceptions that are bad overshadow the general rules. Kind of like sensationalizing the news to increase popularity.

Bristle worms are opportunistic. Peppermint shrimp, Coral Banded shrimp, Emerald Crabs, Arrow Head Crabs could all be considered pest as most things in the marine environment are opportunistic.

Peppermint shrimp: the pest that remove other pests :D

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I posted on YouTube ,

Today I'll talk about how to select and compile the fish or stock list for your reef tank. There are many fish species available for the home Aquarium.
The incredible diversity of species that making their way into retailers’ tanks can be overwhelming at times. How to choose among them?

Robert_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I don't have a reef tank yet, just fresh water. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can so when I do get a salt water tank, I'll be ready. With the fresh water I've been constantly upgrading equipment or just changing things because I don't like how my first decision turned out. I don't want to make those mistakes/decisions too much since the cost is so much more with saltwater equipment.

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I don't have a reef tank yet, just fresh water. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can so when I do get a salt water tank, I'll be ready. With the fresh water I've been constantly upgrading equipment or just changing things because I don't like how my first decision turned out. I don't want to make those mistakes/decisions too much since the cost is so much more with saltwater equipment.

Yes Indeed, getting high quality products will save you a lot of money down the road.
I also had cheep stuff that didn't perform as expected or even failed completely. so upgrading and replacing these was costly.

Just take your time planing and researching the equipment that you will need. And I hope you find this video series helpful and informative.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back