How to calculate ab+ for hydra 32?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sweedish15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says. I am trying to mimic the radion xr15 ab+ spectrum on a new hydra 32. Last year Dave56 and Adam from brs did some great calculations and checking with a spectrometer. I would like to know how the calculations were done so I can do the same for the newer hydra 32 that puts out a little more wattage.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that Randy was the one behind all of the testing last go around. I know that he has a new Hydra video that's in the works; I'd assume that replicating the AB+ spectrum would be a part of that as well. Let me double check with him when he's back in the office after the holiday and I should have more info to share :)

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that Randy was the one behind all of the testing last go around. I know that he has a new Hydra video that's in the works; I'd assume that replicating the AB+ spectrum would be a part of that as well. Let me double check with him when he's back in the office after the holiday and I should have more info to share :)

cant wait for this update! :)

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant wait for this update! :)

Sorry for the wait guys. I did talk to Randy and he informed me that there will indeed be a BRS recommended spectrum for the new Hydras as a part of their video. We don't have a set in stone release date quite yet, however. Still gathering some data for this episode, then will put the final touches on the video. Once I see a release date hit our calendar, I'll be sure to give you a heads up here.

OP
OP
S

Sweedish15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus once the video is out I bet there is an increase In hydra purchases from brs....just sayin!

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Bulk Reef Supply ! Fast track that video!! There are a lot of new Hydra32/64/Prime16 buyers that are DYING to know this. A ton of people post each day in the AI Hydra/Prime facebook group asking for this information.

It will be interesting to see what BRS comes up with here, the added power and newer, different amounts of some LED's in the Hydra32HD could drastically alter the spectral output, even if the settings between a Hydra26HD and a Hydra32HD hypothetically look identical on the myAI app.

Given that I didn't want to wait for BRS...I did some math and tinkering, and by multiplying the Hydra26HD BRS AB+ numbers by 1.08, I was able to max out the power of the Hydra32HD and maintain what I believe to be close to the same spectrum.

I don't have a spectrometer to test, but after a lot of tinkering I came to the conclusion that multiplying the BRS AB+ Hydra26HD numbers by 1.08 would max out the UV channel on the Hydra32HD, similar to how it is maxed out in the Hydra26HD BRS AB+ Profile while maintaining what I think is close to the spectrum.

I did keep the reds and green at 6 percent for the sake of algae growth. This would be an interesting detail I hope @Bulk Reef Supply is able to address in the upcoming video.

I also rented a PAR meter from BRS (Sorry for taking 2 weeks, I couldn't help myself), and the Hydra32HD using my adjusted/increased BRS AB+ settings ( they are below ), on a 24"x24"x20" 50 gallon bare bottom SCA 50 gallon Cube, 13" above the water line, using the @3D Reefin' diffuser... I get:

~200-250 PAR in the top 6",
~130-180 PAR in the mid 6"
~80-115 PAR in the lower 6" (water line is 2" lower than tank height, for a total 18" water depth)

I think moving the light closer to the water would increase par, but decrease spread, from the BRS videos I've seen it seems diffusion with LED's using distance from water line and actual diffusers makes them much nicer, so I will keep it where it is for now, I have a MIXED reef, not SPS only, so these PAR ranges are ideal for my needs.

I hope this helps out other new Hydra32HD/Hydra26HD owners!

Settings:

IMG_1315.png

IMG_1316.png

Last edited:

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the wait guys. I did talk to Randy and he informed me that there will indeed be a BRS recommended spectrum for the new Hydras as a part of their video. We don't have a set in stone release date quite yet, however. Still gathering some data for this episode, then will put the final touches on the video. Once I see a release date hit our calendar, I'll be sure to give you a heads up here.
Is the video still in the makes? I can't wait!

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the video still in the makes? I can't wait!

Some other investigates videos have taken priority over the last few months, but still in the works, we promise. Thanks for the patience everyone, I know this has been a highly anticipated video :)

redwayjay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says. I am trying to mimic the radion xr15 ab+ spectrum on a new hydra 32. Last year Dave56 and Adam from brs did some great calculations and checking with a spectrometer. I would like to know how the calculations were done so I can do the same for the newer hydra 32 that puts out a little more wattage.
On of the Aqua Illumination Users groups on that other site has a new PXT AB+ Hydra32.aip file for download.

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could provide the file for this? The one we can import into the AI app? Or maybe post screenshots of the exact settings?
Thanks!

Although we didn't download a file for settings, you can find them at these timestamps in the video.

BRS LPS settings for 60gal cube and 120gal 4ft tank.

BRS SPS Settings for 60gal cube:

BRS SPS Settings for 120gal 4ft tank (3x modules):

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%

Back