How to calculate ab+ for hydra 32?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
Any chance for a 16hd episode? Like you guys did with multiple prime HD’s for sps tank.
Currently have one over a nuvo20 but looking to plan to use 6 or so 16hds over a 120 in the future.

We've got a laundry list of light testing upcoming over the next few months and the Hydra's are all on there. ;)

OP
OP
S

Sweedish15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really disappointed there has been so much interest in a video on the hydra 32 for months and only a video for the hydra 64 was put out. Even more disappointed that the new radions came out and there is already a video for each of those lights in a matter of a few weeks.

You really dropped the ball on this one brs.

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really disappointed there has been so much interest in a video on the hydra 32 for months and only a video for the hydra 64 was put out. Even more disappointed that the new radions came out and there is already a video for each of those lights in a matter of a few weeks.

I'm really sorry to hear your disappointment. These lighting videos are very time consuming to test and produce, with only one person conducting the testing (Brent), one person to edit (Carlos) and one person to present the data (me).

With each video averaging 1.5wks to test & produce I sincerely wish we were able to put out more videos like these in a more rapid succession, along with maintaining a stable work/life balance. Unfortunately there are limitations to what we can accomplish.

That said I can tell you that testing on the Hydra 32 will begin this week, so we should expect a full write up in the next 2-3 weeks. :)

-Randy

Miguel Pxt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sweedish, I think that's not fair and very ungrateful.
These guys did a tremendous job, and of course they prioritize on the most sold fixtures. Being the Hydra64 one of them. Then the Radeons came out (Top Seller). That turned into #1 priority of course
I also have 2xHydra32 (48" tank) and am anxiously waiting for the test, but that's what it is...
In between as the Hydra32 have the same led pucks as the Hydra64 ( 2 vs 4) you can more or less prepare your lights for the ideal settings.

@randyBRS I was watching the Radeon test and noticed you were using the warm light moonlight channel. However on the Hydra64 the value was zero... any comments ?
And thanks again for the great job, and please be patient...these are the idiosyncrasies of being notorious...

OP
OP
S

Sweedish15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a shot at the company, I appreciate their efforts. Yes it is disappointing that a popular light that has been out for 5 months does not have a video out yet that they have been promising since the light was released.

but then the radion comes out and within a week there are multiple videos about it. I know it’s a more expensive and more popular light so I’m sure it takes priorities over others.

sorry you don’t agree.

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS I was watching the Radeon test and noticed you were using the warm light moonlight channel. However on the Hydra64 the value was zero... any comments ?
And thanks again for the great job, and please be patient...these are the idiosyncrasies of being notorious...

Thanks Miguel,

I'm confident we had all moonlight channels off for these tests. Maybe one of the screenshots gathered after testing showed them on, but I assure you they weren't. Honestly, I wouldn't expect any measurable difference either way if they were on or off. Their addition to the other 100 LEDs would likely be negligible. :)

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry to hear your disappointment. These lighting videos are very time consuming to test and produce, with only one person conducting the testing (Brent), one person to edit (Carlos) and one person to present the data (me).

With each video averaging 1.5wks to test & produce I sincerely wish we were able to put out more videos like these in a more rapid succession, along with maintaining a stable work/life balance. Unfortunately there are limitations to what we can accomplish.

That said I can tell you that testing on the Hydra 32 will begin this week, so we should expect a full write up in the next 2-3 weeks. :)

-Randy
Hi, Randy. Any updates on the Hydra 32 tests and videos? Thanks!

Miguel Pxt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on the to-do list! ;)
Hi Randy
Just watched the video. Great work.However I have some questions:
- In the Hydra64 video I realized all the different settings were calculated proportionally to the originally settings. But with the Hydra32 the R/G channels for SPS are slightly higher (6%->8%). Why is that ?
- I have a RSR350 with 2x Hydra32, trying to raise SPS. I know ideally I should have 4, but the budget doesn't allow me to. What do you think the ideal settings should be for a 2x Hydra32 setup ? I adjusted to a 0,9 ratio of your ideal settings (100/109/9/55).
- Before I has a height to water of 10", I raised it to 14". Do you think that could have been the reason for SPS bleaching ? (4" below water)

Best Regards and thanks again for your great work
Miguel

P.S: For all readers out there, a strong advice. Please stay safe...stay at home, look at the situation here in Europe, it's critical....thousands of dead seniors, literally drowning in their own fluids. People dying are mainly > 60yrs. Protect our elderly....
This is the cold reality,

Warning it contains very disturbing scenes

#stayathome

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy
Just watched the video. Great work.However I have some questions:
- In the Hydra64 video I realized all the different settings were calculated proportionally to the originally settings. But with the Hydra32 the R/G channels for SPS are slightly higher (6%->8%). Why is that ?
- I have a RSR350 with 2x Hydra32, trying to raise SPS. I know ideally I should have 4, but the budget doesn't allow me to. What do you think the ideal settings should be for a 2x Hydra32 setup ? I adjusted to a 0,9 ratio of your ideal settings (100/109/9/55).
- Before I has a height to water of 10", I raised it to 14". Do you think that could have been the reason for SPS bleaching ? (4" below water)
Best Regards and thanks again for your great work
Miguel

Hey Miguel!

The Hydra32 settings were proportionally scaled down from our original BRS Recommended spectrum ratio to 80% and 60%, which is why the reds and greens move to 8% and 6% respectively. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in these channels. When the manufacturers don't have a template or recommended spectrum ratio that we would use, we basically crank up the blues/UV/violet channels; add in some white to balance out the look of the tank; then tweak little bits of the reds/greens to create some contrast and color accents in some corals.

Without testing for sure with a PAR meter, I'd say that you are on the right path to optimizing your lights for your tank. Best practice of course would be to test so you know for sure. It is very possible that your SPS may have had too much light at those lower mounting heights, but again it's tough to throw guesses at the wall without testing to know for sure.

Miguel Pxt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Miguel!

The Hydra32 settings were proportionally scaled down from our original BRS Recommended spectrum ratio to 80% and 60%, which is why the reds and greens move to 8% and 6% respectively. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in these channels. When the manufacturers don't have a template or recommended spectrum ratio that we would use, we basically crank up the blues/UV/violet channels; add in some white to balance out the look of the tank; then tweak little bits of the reds/greens to create some contrast and color accents in some corals.

Without testing for sure with a PAR meter, I'd say that you are on the right path to optimizing your lights for your tank. Best practice of course would be to test so you know for sure. It is very possible that your SPS may have had too much light at those lower mounting heights, but again it's tough to throw guesses at the wall without testing to know for sure.

Hi @randyBRS

Thanks so much for your help, and thank you so much for your priceless contribution to the community.
I will try to get a PAR Meter to test it.
Just 1 final question. Being a diver, I like to see a more blueish "natural" look. Do you think lowering the whites to 35%-40% would lower the impact on coral growth and coloring ?

What are the next tests ? Prime16HD ? Will you also test older fixtures like Hydra26/52 ?
BR
Miguel
#staysafe #stayathome

Last edited:

Matt Rigberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need help please!!! We have a 36x18x20 tank and are running Saxby settings with 2 HD32s. I have them throttled back by about 35% due to tank size compared to Saxbys. I got the lights at the recommendation of my LFS. Had originally wanted Red Sea 90s. We cannot get lights to look like we want. My kessil 350 over a small cube tank died and i got a Res Sea 90 and put it over the cube. Wife LOVES it. How can I get a similar blue/white look for Hydras - either to mimic Red Sea or Radion, without hurting the corals??? I’ve posted before trying to get similar Radion look and have been referred to BRS video, but that doesn’t get me info I am looking for. I caught this thread and was hoping for detailed info on how to get that soft blue and easy on the eyes look. PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s their video on the 32 it gives their recommended settings which I took a screenshot for you. I haven’t seen this in person but it’s what they think will work best in the video it gives you par data as well.

3AB8251F-B68F-44D7-B0DD-10770460EC26.png

Matt Rigberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you - i will try this and just lower it a bit so as not to nuke my corals.

Miguel Pxt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
Hi Randy
Regarding the new video you posted "LED vs T5: LEDs can do it better! 3 Ways to Get Better Coral Coloration in Your Reef Tank."
It got me really confused when comparing the Hydra64 AB+ settings you recommended vs the ones presented in the new video.
Is it possible to get the "most aproximate" settings for the Hydra32 ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back