How to calculate ab+ for hydra 32?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
Hi Randy
Regarding the new video you posted "LED vs T5: LEDs can do it better! 3 Ways to Get Better Coral Coloration in Your Reef Tank."
It got me really confused when comparing the Hydra64 AB+ settings you recommended vs the ones presented in the new video.
Is it possible to get the "most aproximate" settings for the Hydra32 ?

The last video was only a demonstration for how LEDs and their different approaches to adjustable channels affect the way we use them to create a cohesive spectrum blend. It was not an attempt to come up with a BRS Recommended Spectrum Ratio. I still stand behind the spectrum ratio we developed in the original Hydra 64 and Hydra 32 videos. :)

Miguel Pxt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last video was only a demonstration for how LEDs and their different approaches to adjustable channels affect the way we use them to create a cohesive spectrum blend. It was not an attempt to come up with a BRS Recommended Spectrum Ratio. I still stand behind the spectrum ratio we developed in the original Hydra 64 and Hydra 32 videos. :)
Thank You, Master Randy!
So I will stick to your advise/spectrum. To achieve a more blueish underwater look, would you lower the whites, increase the blues ?

Calebss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

do we have an download for the schedule for this for the 32HD Hydra?

thank you

hope you all keeping safe.

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
Any update on a timeline for the data testing on the 16hd?

Currently undergoing testing as we speak. :) This one is a bit more in-depth because we're adding in a couple more tank sizes, so with remaining testing time and we putting the data into video production my best guess would be in the next 2-3 weeks.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently undergoing testing as we speak. :) This one is a bit more in-depth because we're adding in a couple more tank sizes, so with remaining testing time and we putting the data into video production my best guess would be in the next 2-3 weeks.
Good to hear! I’m excited and hope there is a nuvo20 in there so I know exact numbers for my tank haha.

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS What about the AB+ for the hydra 32? Is the BRS recommendation that same as the AB+?

Probably not exactly the same, but the spectrum recommendations we choose are based on coral growth and energy needs first then some tweaks to make the tank look good. All of those concepts behind how and why we believe this is the best approach to choosing a spectrum for any light is based on this entire mini-series that Ryan recently did about Mastering Reef Tank Lighting.

Cv111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed it was the same as the prime HD16. Isn't it the same mix of LEDs? Now I'm wondering if the Prime HD16 is the same as the original that was used for 6he video? I thought the only change was the moonlight LED.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, is this considered to be the closest to the AB+ spectrum for a Hydra32 HD four light layout over a 48" SPS tank?

BRS Recommended Hydra 32 SPS-48.jpg

Last edited:

kmoore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some other investigates videos have taken priority over the last few months, but still in the works, we promise. Thanks for the patience everyone, I know this has been a highly anticipated video :)
Is there a video that shows how to program the hydra 32 for a mixed reef? I can do the presets only from the website.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kmoore

In Randy's Hydra 32 video, we don't specifically suggest settings for a mixed reef, but I think that based on the number of fixtures and settings recommended for LPS tanks and SPS tanks, you could make a pretty spot-on educated guess for your specific setup. For a mixed reef, I'd add that using a par meter to get the intensity all dialed in is more crucial so that you can make an informed decision on where to place corals.

CompulsiveFragCollector86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kmoore

In Randy's Hydra 32 video, we don't specifically suggest settings for a mixed reef, but I think that based on the number of fixtures and settings recommended for LPS tanks and SPS tanks, you could make a pretty spot-on educated guess for your specific setup. For a mixed reef, I'd add that using a par meter to get the intensity all dialed in is more crucial so that you can make an informed decision on where to place corals.

Well said .. so when you say 50 to 150 for softies should like my sandbed be dialed in to 50 and let the rest fall into place or should I tune top of water to 150 and let the rest fall into place ? I have been reefing over a year now lighting been my worst enemy and I even bought a par meter diffusers anything to help please help lol

Attachments

• 20220421_173903.jpg
    20220421_173903.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 71

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well said .. so when you say 50 to 150 for softies should like my sandbed be dialed in to 50 and let the rest fall into place or should I tune top of water to 150 and let the rest fall into place ? I have been reefing over a year now lighting been my worst enemy and I even bought a par meter diffusers anything to help please help lol

You will need to identify each of your corals needs and map them to a location of preferred light intensity and water flow.

Use your PAR meter to set your lights initially and record the values on paper, etc. Start at the top (or bottom) and map the PAR value in various places. I made a matrix and recorded 12 spots per "level". So, 12 spots 6" under the surface, then 12 spots at 12" under the surface...all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Refer to those values moving forward to determine where to place particular corals. After you set you lights, DO NOT TOUCH THEM. If you change intensity or spectrum, you'll never know how your corals actually respond to that spectrum and intensity. Leave the lighting alone for a year and then determine if you need to make adjustments. It's hard not to play around, but after you get things set, you want to leave it alone. This is my opinion and your mileage may vary. :)

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to identify each of your corals needs and map them to a location of preferred light intensity and water flow.

Use your PAR meter to set your lights initially and record the values on paper, etc. Start at the top (or bottom) and map the PAR value in various places. I made a matrix and recorded 12 spots per "level". So, 12 spots 6" under the surface, then 12 spots at 12" under the surface...all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Refer to those values moving forward to determine where to place particular corals. After you set you lights, DO NOT TOUCH THEM. If you change intensity or spectrum, you'll never know how your corals actually respond to that spectrum and intensity. Leave the lighting alone for a year and then determine if you need to make adjustments. It's hard not to play around, but after you get things set, you want to leave it alone. This is my opinion and your mileage may vary. :)

Really well said.

To the @CompulsiveFragCollector86: Since PAR will naturally be higher at the top of the tank (closer to the light) and lower at the bottom (further away from the light), it's all about knowing what the PAR is in multiple spots in the tank so that you can ensure the best possible placement of your corals.

If you're keeping softies and LPS, that usually means roughly 75 PAR towards the sand bed and higher par towards the water surface. While we normally shoot for 75-150 PAR for softies and LPS, they can adapt to slightly higher light if the top of your tank is more like 200 PAR.

Don't overthink it too much. But definitely take SPS2020's advice and "after you set your lights, DO NOT TOUCH THEM." Constant changes to your lighting will almost always negatively affect corals. I know the sliders are fun to play with and it's tempting ;)

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry to hear your disappointment. These lighting videos are very time consuming to test and produce, with only one person conducting the testing (Brent), one person to edit (Carlos) and one person to present the data (me).

With each video averaging 1.5wks to test & produce I sincerely wish we were able to put out more videos like these in a more rapid succession, along with maintaining a stable work/life balance. Unfortunately there are limitations to what we can accomplish.

That said I can tell you that testing on the Hydra 32 will begin this week, so we should expect a full write up in the next 2-3 weeks. :)

-Randy
Hi Randy just a question i was told that tenius acro needs around 400 or so i have 2 hydra 32's how much par will i get from the 2 hydra 32's i have i checked the par once it looked like 290 on right side and 280 on the left side corners say 125 all corners are equal is this enough light for tenuis frags let me know otherwise i will cancle the tinuis tomrrow thanks Gary

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Randy just a question i was told that tenius acro needs around 400 or so i have 2 hydra 32's how much par will i get from the 2 hydra 32's i have i checked the par once it looked like 290 on right side and 280 on the left side corners say 125 all corners are equal is this enough light for tenuis frags let me know otherwise i will cancle the tinuis tomrrow thanks Gary
Randy is no longer at BRS

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I see there’s a post on this thread showing AB+ settings on the 32s for SPS dominant tanks to be:
110%
110%
120%
120%
10%
10%
0%
60%
My question is this.
I’m using 3x32s over a RedSea 350 at 11” above the water. I can’t raise them because one of the screw heads is stripped on my support arm, so I reduced all the light setting by 10%.
Is this going to creat problems?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back