How to calculate Radion PAR output?

smilereef2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Was just wondering if it was possible to understand Radion G4 Pro PAR output at a specific distance inside the tank by a simple calculation by feeding information of,

a) Output light setting (in Power eg:70%)
b) LED color type being considered ( since different spectrum may have different depth penetration)
c) Distance of fixture being considered (eg: 30cm )
d) Angle from center of fixture being considered (30 degrees)

I am sure it may not give an exact PAR output but it may help in rough PAR calculations.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to be extremely familiar with the light at all settings to do this.
I work in lighting professionally. its a similar process we have to undertake when we decide on lighting units to use at either a motel room or football stadium. A fixture(A) gives X at Y distance, if that makes sense.
I've used light A for 20 years, so I know what to expect.

So you would have to know the par and intensity of the fixture quite well to make the estimat.
This is how most make a general recommendation for others peoples tanks.

Thus for ease I usually recommend on the cheap, using a lux meter. Having seen many specs, and lux par numbers for multi manufactures, I can say that an led in general at full 1:1 ratios will have a lux par conversion number of 60. Rather than 53 like the sun.(sun has more par at lower intensity)
But once you begin to create your own colors that lux par number changes. Ie more blue generally results in less par at the same intentisy. so the luc par conversion is now 65 or 70.

OP
OP
S

smilereef2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So u r looking at a software like Dialux or relux to calculate the light outputs by knowing the lumens output? Wouldnt Ecotech also be able to create a similar simple software to understand what light output "can be expected"

Also which is a recommended PAR meter which will be soft on the pocket as well?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS made a pretty good video on the G4Pro, but it's obviously no more than a brief summary of potential values.

Factors that can't be ignored are shadowing from aquascape and water clarity.

For PAR meters, plug into your local reef clubs here or on FB. It appears that most regions have a store or club with one to rent.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So u r looking at a software like Dialux or relux to calculate the light outputs by knowing the lumens output? Wouldnt Ecotech also be able to create a similar simple software to understand what light output "can be expected"

Also which is a recommended PAR meter which will be soft on the pocket as well?
No its much simpler than that.
A par meter and firsthand experimentation. That and a lux or foot candle meter. As lumens is a slightly different measurement, and harder to calculate.

The seney is is likely the most cost effective, my only critique on them is the PUR, Lux, and Color temp functions. There a bit misleading but the par meter is pretty spot on compared to other par meters.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back