how to calibrate hanna salinity tester

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about the electronic one (which I have), you press the CAL button, insert the probe all the way into the calibration packet and wait for it to settle. It will then flash STOR, which means it is saving the calibration. You should then be good to go for about a month before needing to calibrate again.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased that Hannah checker and it’s highly inaccurate. A lot of members agree with me on this.

I listened to a member on here and got the Milwaukee and I’m so glad I did! The hannah checker is getting returned.

My 2¢

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased that Hannah checker and it’s highly inaccurate. A lot of members agree with me on this.

I listened to a member on here and got the Milwaukee and I’m so glad I did! The hannah checker is getting returned.

My 2¢
Keeping that in mind but now a new question. How often do you have to calibrate it? How many uses before you have to?

Cmooreinor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My 2¢
yeah, I had the same experience.... moved to the Milwaukee and have not looked back!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good, cheap salinity testers?
Cheap and good is a basic refractometer. Only downsides to it is that you need overhead lighting and squinting of the eye. Occasional salinity testing is not a problem, and I’ve personally used a basic refractometer and it got the job done accurately.

I graduated to a higher end because I have over 7 tanks in my house (99% are temporary QT’s, and it was too much effort for me.

The hannah tester was inaccurate straight from the box. Even with prior calibration! Note: the tester from Amazon arrived to me used and a lot of reviews mentioned the same thing which is infuriating when you are supposed to receive a brand new unit.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap and good is a basic refractometer. Only downsides to it is that you need overhead lighting and squinting of the eye. Occasional salinity testing is not a problem, and I’ve personally used a basic refractometer and it got the job done accurately.

I graduated to a higher end because I have over 7 tanks in my house (99% are temporary QT’s, and it was too much effort for me.

The hannah tester was inaccurate straight from the box. Even with prior calibration! Note: the tester from Amazon arrived to me used and a lot of reviews mentioned the same thing which is infuriating when you are supposed to receive a brand new unit.
are there any devices where its just simple? Salinity pens, digital salinity? I just don't want to deal with a refractometer

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any devices where its just simple? Salinity pens, digital salinity? I just don't want to deal with a refractometer
Here’s the deal: there’s no perfect solution.

The Milwaukee is VERY easy to use and has a digital readout. I personally recommend this but it’s slightly expensive at $100.

Tropic Marin has a floating hydrometer which is one of the most accurate salinity measurers we have as hobbiest. It’s cheap at $30 but the problem with it is that it’s very complicated to use. The water must be 77F to get the measurements to be correct. You need a very tall beaker to fill with saltwater to float. If your temp isn’t 77F there is a chart to make the proper conversions.

Refractometers are much easier and cheaper to use than the tropic Marin. Less accurate though.

I wouldn’t use a standard hydrometer personally.

If it’s my opinion: buy the Milwaukee and never regret. Or you can buy a different salinity tester and then later upgrade when you get sick of their flaws.

Not everyone will need a Milwaukee, but it certainly made my life easier and even though I just got it 2 days ago I am their biggest fan. This unit is seriously awesome.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna, Milwaukee, and a 20 year old optical refractometer. If cheap and reliable are what you're looking for honestly the optical refractometer is a great choice, just curious why so set against them? My Hanna reads about .002 too low so I just add that to whatever my reading is. Hanna is the easier digital one to use IMO but neither of them are what I'd consider hard to use. I also really like the Milwaukee digital refractometer, but I don't trust either of the digital ones compared to a properly calibrated optical refractometer.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys doting on the milwakee, do know they are relatively inaccurate too?

Many threads around here about how inaccurate the milwaukee is. Never believed it myself until I used several different methods to check salinity.

My hanna has been rock solid and rarely needs calibrating(even though I do). With the hanna it seems you either get a good one, or a dud. No inbetween.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna salinity checker works perfectly fine. It is recommended to calibrate it monthly following the included directions.

As with pH meters, the more often you calibrate it, the more accurate the measurement.

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hanna HI-98319 and take the average of 3 readings (the last two are usually the same.)

If the salinity has changed, I cross check with a D-D H2Ocean Refractometer calibrated with Randy's refractometer calibration solution. If the results differ, I check the calibration on the D-D and re-calibrate the Hanna with the Hanna solution. Then I re-test.

I considered getting a hydrometer to cross-check the other two, but thought I'd probably spend the rest of my life trying to get them all to show the same result... :confused:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Milwaukee is extremely accurate. I found the problem is that their calibration fluid they sent is inaccurate.

I have both the tropic Marin and the Milwaukee and they both tested the same.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna, Milwaukee, and a 20 year old optical refractometer. If cheap and reliable are what you're looking for honestly the optical refractometer is a great choice, just curious why so set against them? My Hanna reads about .002 too low so I just add that to whatever my reading is. Hanna is the easier digital one to use IMO but neither of them are what I'd consider hard to use. I also really like the Milwaukee digital refractometer, but I don't trust either of the digital ones compared to a properly calibrated optical refractometer.
not against it but id rather not have to go in my tank, use my pipette, calibrate it, wait 20 seconds and check. I was looking for something thats just dip and you get results

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not against it but id rather not have to go in my tank, use my pipette, calibrate it, wait 20 seconds and check. I was looking for something thats just dip and you get results
I haven't calibrated my optical refractometer in years, simply because I haven't needed to. I do check it against a known solution periodically though. Any salinity tester will take a small amount of work and the optical refractometer isn't any more than most of them IMO. The closest one to what you want I'd agree is probably the Hanna that you were originally asking about. For it I just dip it into the tank, then dip it into a cup of rodi water to rinse the probe, shake it off and I'm done. I've not had the best accuracy with it, but it seems to consistently read low, so it's not too big of a deal. If I'm in a hurry I use the Hanna, and if I want to make sure my reading is right I use my digital and/or optical refractometer. Plus for my tank I can verify my results against my apex (or at least try to , sometimes it's salinity probe is absolutely awful).

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't calibrated my optical refractometer in years, simply because I haven't needed to. I do check it against a known solution periodically though. Any salinity tester will take a small amount of work and the optical refractometer isn't any more than most of them IMO. The closest one to what you want I'd agree is probably the Hanna that you were originally asking about. For it I just dip it into the tank, then dip it into a cup of rodi water to rinse the probe, shake it off and I'm done. I've not had the best accuracy with it, but it seems to consistently read low, so it's not too big of a deal. If I'm in a hurry I use the Hanna, and if I want to make sure my reading is right I use my digital and/or optical refractometer. Plus for my tank I can verify my results against my apex (or at least try to , sometimes it's salinity probe is absolutely awful).
Does it matter what kind? I think I may have one lying around here somewhere

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*sorry in advance to GHOSTLY since this has nothing to do with original question...

Which Milwaukee model# do people (that recommended) use? There's MANY, from what I see. (Was planning on buying the Hanna but now curious)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back