How to care and acclimate macroalgae ‘ Caulerpa’

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which type of caulerpa?

I find grape caulerpa very easy. It likes high light and grows fast. However it can go sexual. You can light it 24/7 or you can trim it every week. If it starts going white that is a sign it may be about to go sexual and I'd cut that bit off.

Also no need to acclimate. It is very tough

Last edited:

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it good light and nutrients and it will never stop growing.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make sure you careful monitor your nutrients and they don’t bottom out and they grow best under plant spectrum lighting or refugium lighting. Aim for 8-12+ hours a day/as much light as possible for best growth and coloration as it is a plant.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What counts as good light for caulerpa? is there a specific spectrum that they like or can I just shine any aquarium light on it?
I use a light that I had when I was in freshwater. I have heard some getting their lights from home depot. Don't get anything over top if you can get something that can do the same thing for less.

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What counts as good light for caulerpa? is there a specific spectrum that they like or can I just shine any aquarium light on it?
Anything that's good for growing plants. Freshwater planted aquarium lights, grow lights, refugium lights, etc.

Personally I like full spectrum 650k lights. The red and blue light combo is very unsightly.
Amazon has tons of cheap grow lights that Ive used in my freshwater planted tanks before with great success.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this spare light I've repurposed for the refugium, but I have no idea if it's the right spectrum for any macros. It looks light blue to me, but I don't have a prism or anything to see its spectrum. What can I grow with that?

GoM_reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine under 7500k, which will appear light blue to the eye, and get ok growth. If you're looking to keep it in a sump for export, I really recommend just heading to Lowes and getting a grow light bulb and a cheap plug-in fixture like this one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back