How to catch Green Chromis

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Chromis that needs to be QT because it is starting to develop a red spot by its gill. Does anyone have any trick to catch it. I have a 40 gallon long tank and it has evaded all my attempts. I set the net in tank with food in it and wouldn’t go in or even come close.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Chromis that needs to be QT because it is starting to develop a red spot by its gill. Does anyone have any trick to catch it. I have a 40 gallon long tank and it has evaded all my attempts. I set the net in tank with food in it and wouldn’t go in or even come close.
fish trap

you can buy them or there are videos to make them

before we had 2 fish traps (different sizes) we bought a boat net... the huge kind that if you were catching fish from boat and pulling trout into boat - THAT kind of net... Took if off loop & handle so it was just a big floppy net. Laid net out over EVERYTHING. Eventually 1-2 days fish began to ignore it... swam over it - two of us - 1 on each side simultaneously pulling up - we caught fish... AND then I bought my first Icecap fish trap because that was ridiculous (but worked for us).

If you get the IceCap fish traps, the reviews are spot on about super pain to take off paper... have an adult beverage handy and just take your time. They work great else I wouldn't have TWO (yes, I've taken that paper off two - large & medium) be careful peeling paper off the little tabs because those are used to hold whole thing together. Trap can double as an acclimation box. The suction cups seemed like overkill, but you can unscrew them once you've caught fish and get them off later when everything is calm so now I like that feature also. Don't lose food tube cap else food will float up & away instead of falling <tempting> fish into trap. I store food tube and cap in a baggie.

Fish traps faster and easier so recommend going how we catch now with fish trap and not what we did in the beginning with trout net LOL. Good luck

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back