How to change alkalinity

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity is DKH 6 and I’m pretty sure that’s bad. How do I make it go up. Sorry I’m new to all these parameters

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest and most inexpensive is dosing baking soda or baked baking soda aka soda ash.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing you should know....raise it slowly! Don't try to go from 6 to your target in one day. 0.1 to 0.2 changes in DKH per day are safe.

I use Fritz RPM

But you should read this first:
Is there a ready made mix i can get?

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a ready made mix i can get?
There are a million alk buffers you can pickup at your LFS or order online that, like the Fritz RPM, you dose directly to the water column. I don't know your filtration setup, but I would try and avoid dosing directly in the DT. Dose in your filter or sump so that the ALK can dilute before hitting a fish or coral directly.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a million alk buffers you can pickup at your LFS or order online that, like the Fritz RPM, you dose directly to the water column. I don't know your filtration setup, but I would try and avoid dosing directly in the DT. Dose in your filter or sump so that the ALK can dilute before hitting a fish or coral directly.
Yeah I have a sump. Thanks for the help

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Arm and Hammer baking soda is perfectly fine. Or you can pay a premium and buy it from BRS or other suppliers. But sodium bicarbonate is sodium bicarbonate.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Arm and Hammer baking soda is perfectly fine. Or you can pay a premium and buy it from BRS or other suppliers. But sodium bicarbonate is sodium bicarbonate.
Will adding that change my ph because my ph is pretty good right now

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soda ash will raise pH, sodium bicarb will not.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a 2 part dosing system to supplement both alk and calcium. Since you aren't currently testing for calcium, which you should be if you have LPS/SPS coral, we are ignoring the calcium and just making up the alkalinity supplement. Mix about a cup of baking soda per gallon of water and dose. Start with a small amount, I have no idea your tank size or alkalinity uptake, and measure daily. Adjust daily dosing volume as needed.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you start testing calcium and find that you need to supplement, then dosing Kalkwasser would be the easiest/cheapest way to go until your demand exceeds it, then you can move onto 2-part or other methods.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a 2 part dosing system to supplement both alk and calcium. Since you aren't currently testing for calcium, which you should be if you have LPS/SPS coral, we are ignoring the calcium and just making up the alkalinity supplement. Mix about a cup of baking soda per gallon of water and dose. Start with a small amount, I have no idea your tank size or alkalinity uptake, and measure daily. Adjust daily dosing volume as needed.
My tank is 50 gallons

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of good info here for You!

Since your really not testing all the time, and until you really start dosing.

You can always just buy a salt mix with a higher alk that you want and slowly over time your alk will raise to the level your salt mixes at.

Once you get your alk to where you want it with just salt you will have a good base line and know everytime you change your water, your tank should read close to the salt mix level.

Then you can start monitoring how much alk and cal is used on a daily average.

This should give you an idea of how much 2 part or just alk you want to dose. Or if Kalkwrasser is good enough to keep up the levels then that would be excellent.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back