How to change alkalinity

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing you should know....raise it slowly! Don't try to go from 6 to your target in one day. 0.1 to 0.2 changes in DKH per day are safe.

I use Fritz RPM

But you should read this first:
I think that depends on what you are keeping. I've not had any I'll effects at 0.5 /day with basic LPS and Monti digitata to get from 6 to 8 in new tanks that are chewing through alk.

Slow and steady is always a good approach though.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see, and this is true for much of the hobby, there are a myriad of different viable paths to reach the same end goal.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a 2 part dosing system to supplement both alk and calcium. Since you aren't currently testing for calcium, which you should be if you have LPS/SPS coral, we are ignoring the calcium and just making up the alkalinity supplement. Mix about a cup of baking soda per gallon of water and dose. Start with a small amount, I have no idea your tank size or alkalinity uptake, and measure daily. Adjust daily dosing volume as needed.
Hold up.... Mix a cup of baking soda per gallon? I hope that's a typo and nobody doses 20 or 120 cups of baking soda to a tank at one time.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see the confusion. We are making 1 gallon of alkalinity dosing solution using 1 cup of baking soda, not adding 1 cup of baking soda per gallon of water in the tank. The reference is the provided link with more specific instructions on how to make Randy's DIY 2-part.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up.... Mix a cup of baking soda per gallon? I hope that's a typo and nobody doses 20 or 120 cups of baking soda to a tank at one time.
I’m still not sure what to do. I don’t have corals at the moment but I eventually want to add some

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As you can see, and this is true for much of the hobby, there are a myriad of different viable paths to reach the same end gogoal.
I'm agreeing with you and what you have said.

I just suggested the OP get his water to a alk level through water first and then dose.

Rather just start dosing away.

You are right in all you have said to raise alk and keep it consistent.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You obviously are not making a gallon of dosing solution and dumping it all in at once. We are dosing here.
Clearly not obvious in your Instruction and you're trying to tell someone who doesn't know.

I measure 9.5g/cup of rodi and dose the whole thing every time.

Not obvious.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still not sure what to do. I don’t have corals at the moment but I eventually want to add some
Slow adjustments to your water, take detailed notes on what you do and when.

Your parameters will slowly get in line and you will have the knowledge of what your tank is currently using, which gets you a good baseline to move into adding corals from.

I'm fighting the same fight. Bought Hanna alk tester and I was sitting at 6.3 with a full reef. It's taken ten days to get to 7.1 and will continue while keeping. Slow and steady.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly not obvious in your Instruction and you're trying to tell someone who doesn't know.

I measure 9.5g/cup of rodi and dose the whole thing every time.

Not obvious.

If you follow the conversation, the link to the exact instructions were provided prior to posting just the amt of baking soda to mix per gallon.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get on top of consistent water changes for a month or two. Check Alk levels see where you are. If it's been 6 months and you have no corals no dosing regime should be needed. You might just need to add a little baking soda occasionally.

What corals are you planning? A real dosing regime is not, in my opinion, necessary until you have a large number of stony corals in an otherwise stable tank. Water changes alone will really take you a long ways without adding risk and complications.

Edited to add that while some dislike reef crystals due to the high Alk it actually is great for the above method and will work to keep your Alk at a good level. I grew softball size candycanes and frogspawns never even checking Alk back in the day.

This advice is not for growing out sticks of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get on top of consistent water changes for a month or two. Check Alk levels see where you are. If it's been 6 months and you have no corals no dosing regime should be needed. You might just need to add a little baking soda occasionally.

What corals are you planning? A real dosing is not, in my opinion, necessary until you have a large number of stony corals in an otherwise stable tank. Water changes alone will really take you a long ways without adding risk and complications.
I’m think of getting things like zoanthids and green star polyps mostly just the easier ones to start with

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize you don't have corals. You don't need to dose until you have coral. What salt mix are you using that is only 6 dkh? Are you sure your test is accurate?

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize you don't have corals. You don't need to dose until you have coral. What salt mix are you using that is only 6 dkh? Are you sure your test is accurate?
I’ll test again and get back to you. The salt I’m using is called

iQuatics Ocean Reef Pro Marine​

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’ve been a bad mixer
Not necessarily. A new tank will chew up alkalinity like a full blown mature SPS reef. It is something many on here seemingly don't know or has been brushed under the rug in favor of selling newbs on 5 different dosing regimes and overpriced baking soda and ice melter 3 days after set up.

Depending on how your tank has been coming along and how you have been doing on water changes it's totally possible to have low alk in a zero coral tank.

Get a Hanna Alk checker though. It is probably in the top 5 for best things you can buy for under $100 in this hobby.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we may need to rewind and start at the top. What's your salinity? I'm not familiar with the salt, but it has good reviews and none that speaks of low dkh. If you are mixing at the manufacturer's recommended salinity then you should be within range and might need to verify your alkalinity test.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we may need to rewind and start at the top. What's your salinity? I'm not familiar with the salt, but it has good reviews and none that speaks of low dkh. If you are mixing at the manufacturer's recommended salinity then you should be within range and might need to verify your alkalinity test.
Salinity is 1.025

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. A new tank will chew up alkalinity like a full blown mature SPS reef. It is something many on here seeming don't know or has been brushed under the rug in favor of selling newbs on 5 different dosing regimes and overpriced baking soda and ice melter 3 days after set up.

Depending on how your tank has been coming along and how you have been doing on water changes it's totally possible to have low alk in a zero coral tank.

Get a Hanna Alk checker though. It is probably in the top 5 for best things you can buy for under $100 in this hobby.

I've never noticed this phenomenon. What is using the using the alk in a new tank?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back