Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the explanation:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php

For each ammonia molecule converted into nitrate, one hydrogen ion (H+) is produced. If nitrate is allowed to accumulate to 50 ppm, the addition of this acid will deplete 0.8 meq/L (2.3 dKH) of alkalinity.

However, the news is not all bad. When this nitrate proceeds further along the nitrogen cycle, depleted alkalinity is returned in exactly the amount lost. For example, if the nitrate is allowed to be converted into N2 in a sand bed, one of the products is bicarbonate

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the explanation:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php

For each ammonia molecule converted into nitrate, one hydrogen ion (H+) is produced. If nitrate is allowed to accumulate to 50 ppm, the addition of this acid will deplete 0.8 meq/L (2.3 dKH) of alkalinity.

However, the news is not all bad. When this nitrate proceeds further along the nitrogen cycle, depleted alkalinity is returned in exactly the amount lost. For example, if the nitrate is allowed to be converted into N2 in a sand bed, one of the products is bicarbonate
so in short, what is the problem?

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never noticed this phenomenon. What is using the using the alk in a new tank?

No idea on exactly what but it's been documented by people way smarter than myself in the past. I watched a full strength reef crystal start up drop into the 6s pretty rapidly with only a few pieces of gulf rock and pile of marco reef saver. I think the theory has to do with corraline establishment and nitrifying bacteria blooms. Not going to pretend to know the cause, just know it happens.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. Your tank is behaving normally. If i'm understanding correctly, it seems this effect is short lived, by the time your tank is ready for coral, your dkh should be relatively stabilized.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so in short, what is the problem?
In short there you are all set to go, do some water changes and toss in some GSP. You've got time to figure out the nuances. Just take some time over the next few weeks and read the wealth of inforation handed to you in the links here.

Welcome to the hard side of keeping saltwater... the reef side.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short there you are all set to go, do some water changes and toss in some GSP. You've got time to figure out the nuances. Just take some time over the next few weeks and read the wealth of inforation handed to you in the links here.

Welcome to the hard side of keeping saltwater... the reef side.
oh alrighty. thanks i'll try that

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. Your tank is behaving normally. If i'm understanding correctly, it seems this effect is short lived, by the time your tank is ready for coral, your dkh should be relatively stabilized.
How long should it take for the DKH to go up?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't go back up until you do a water change or dose, but it should stop permanently depleting in the absence of coral once your cycle matures a bit longer. I don't know the timeline, but you now have several options in your toolbox to maintain alkalinity.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should it take for the DKH to go up?
I might catch a lot of flack for this but just do 10%-20% biweekly water changes, monitor nitrates and keep an eye on algae blooms. Don't bother looking at DKH or anything else if everything looks okay until you start moving up into tougher LPS and SPS. GSP and soft corals could pretty much live in lightly salted sewage.

Get your legs under you with the easy stuff, establish good maintenance routines, and circle back here when ready to get after the harder stuff.

If you want to get a bit fancy get the Hannah checker and check it in the middle of your 2 week water change cycle and add appropriate baking soda to get back to where it was after your previous water change.

Thats a solid and safe way to start this process of keeping coral.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Go to bulk reef supply .com and get the soda ash bag. Easy to mix and they have a calculator

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to bulk reef supply .com and get the soda ash bag. Easy to mix and they have a calculator
Yes but soda ash needs higher quantities and affects PH. I like to keep it simple for the beginning. Good old arm and hammer will suffice in this case. Lots of ways to skin this cat though.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't go back up until you do a water change or dose, but it should stop permanently depleting in the absence of coral once your cycle matures a bit longer. I don't know the timeline, but you now have several options in your toolbox to maintain alkalinity.
would doing weekly water changes help with raising alkalinity

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait...........
The op has no coral. Dosing something with no uptake is wrong.
Do a water change, read about alk, cal, and mag first before you dose anything.
There are great reads by randy Holmes Farley and the correlation of the three and how they work together.
Basically alk and cal are used in the same proportion and magnesium well I'll keep them at those levels or keep them there and not fluctuate. But the alkalinity and calcium should be in target range before you start dosing a two part additive.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , but make sure you bake it in the oven at 300 for about a hour. It converts it to soda ash, which raises alk but doesn’t effect ph. Regular baking soda drops ph, which could be fatal .

Soda ash raises pH. Baking soda has a small temporary effect of lowering pH. OP does not want to raise his pH.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back