How to change alkalinity

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so in short, what is the problem?

Not a problem, just soemthing to know and account for.

The issue in new tanks that depletes alk (and calcium) is most often precipitation of calcium carbonate on rock and sand surfaces. Over time, this slows as the surfaces get plugged up with organics, magnesium, and phosphate.

Rising nitrate also depletes alkalinity for the reasons give above. Stable nitrate at any level does not impact alkalinity.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The issue in new tanks that depletes alk (and calcium) is most often precipitation of calcium carbonate on rock and sand surfaces. Over time, this slows as the surfaces get plugged up with organics, magnesium, and phosphate.

Rising nitrate also depletes alkalinity for the reasons give above. Stable nitrate at any level does not impact alkalinity.
So how long until my alk raises

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just did a test and my alk is now DKH 8 and ph is 8.0( it was 8.2)

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. Your tank is behaving normally. If i'm understanding correctly, it seems this effect is short lived, by the time your tank is ready for coral, your dkh should be relatively stabilized.
I did a test today and my alk is now 8 but ph has dropped to 8.0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't sweat small fluctuations in pH. It fluctuates with the time of day and whether or not you have windows open.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't sweat small fluctuations in pH. It fluctuates with the time of day and whether or not you have windows open.
Sorry to bother you again but my alk is 6 and my calcium is 450 and magnesium is 1110 I’m not sure what to do.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop worrying about it until you add coral. If you want to add coral, then continue to test daily and adjust as needed. If weekly water changes is enough to maintain, then good. If you need to dose, then do that. If you think your test kit is bad, get a new one or different brand to verify. We have established your decreasing alk is not a concern. How you handle replenishment is up to you.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd strongly suggest you browse these sticky topics for more in depth information on reef tank chemistry. There is a wealth of very useful, if not vital, info to know.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd strongly suggest you browse these sticky topics for more in depth information on reef tank chemistry. There is a wealth of very useful, if not vital, info to know.

Thank you

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing you should know....raise it slowly! Don't try to go from 6 to your target in one day. 0.1 to 0.2 changes in DKH per day are safe.

I use Fritz RPM

But you should read this first:
Trying to raise my alkalinity as well. This has a buffer in it and every thing I have read says do not use anything with buffer in it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back