How to clean Acrylic tanks without scratching the surface?

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I'm upgrading my 120 gallon glass tank to a 235 gallon acrylic tank. I just bought it from a local reefer and it will be serviced so it will look brand new. My question is how do you clean the inside part of the tank without scratching the surface? I use mag-float on my glass tank and it does the job except from time to time I have to use razor blades. Any idea on how to remove those algae?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use plastic scraper as mentioned before. I also would be very careful with acrylic specific magnet scrubbers, one piece of sand in between the magnets is all it takes to get a scratch.

Nanologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Clean Original Magic Erasers or generic as long as there’s no additives(dyes, chemicals, cleaners, etc.)

You can even sandwich a piece on the inside of a magnet. [emoji6]

Good luck!

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using diluted white vinegar and soaking a couple weeks. It turns All the calicium stains to nothing. I just wipe with my hand afterwards. But, what sucks is waiting.

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scotch brite dobie. Works great on glass too. Plastic scrapers would sometimes scratch on my last acrylic tank.

Nanologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what i heard too
The Magic Erasers are amazing and I’ve switched to using them in all my freshwater and saltwater tanks, either acrylic or glass. It does an amazing job and doesn’t cost very much. They last quite awhile and you can even slice them into smaller, thinner pieces to stretch it out longer. You usually have to slice them up to get a good hold on the magnet if used that way anyways. Depends on the strength of your magnet. I just use my hands and manually scrub in my nano tanks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back