How to clean chaeto of pests?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know places like Algae Barn offer "clean" chaeto -- which I love (I just bought some, and the product is great and as an art director I love their branding) but I was wondering if anyone has a process for cleaning chaeto. By cleaning I don't mean physically washing it, but more of a QT cycle to removed unwanted pests. I assume Algae Barn's process is proprietary.

A lot of hobbyists offer chaeto for free, but I want to make sure that it's clean before adding it to my new system. While what I received from Algae Barn is great, the quantity is not nearly enough and will take a long time to grow. Plus, it's hard to beat free chaeto.

I assume this cleaning regimen would include a freshwater dip and a soak in a Bayer like what is done for coral. Any suggestions?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go about the same as QT process for a coral. dipping, and observation coupled with being in a separate QT tank for at least 72 days with no new additions.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bayer, flatworm exit, revive, all of them together really..... none are 100% effective

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go about the same as QT process for a coral. dipping, and observation coupled with being in a separate QT tank for at least 72 days with no new additions.
This. Its one of those risk management things. No matter what you do things like Ich tomont and other eggs that are well protected will survive. It needs to be in a fishless system for a full QT cycle to be 100% sure (Some say 16 days for Cheato, im not 100% convinced).

In the past I just soaked mine in RODI for a while (30 mins or so) + Coral dip. Some people even put in in the fridge overnight (it is extremely resilient stuff) but that won't get everything. I got lucky but not everyone will :(

It really comes down to how much you trust the source...

Last edited:

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto can survive a pretty thorough washing in “tank temperature” tap water. That’s pretty good way to rid it of pests.

I think Battlecorals described his method for cleaning the chaeto not too long ago. It was pretty much an everything but the kitchen sink approach I think. Dips, fallow, & freshwater rinses.

BraxtonF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dip them like coral, an just a good look through will do wonders

rlm53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also wondering about this. Let’s hope a quick dip and rinse works

acbaldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is their clean chaeto is grown in a fallow system then FW dipped. That's what I do, anyways. Chaeto will survive anything so plain old tap water rinsing is effective IMO.

Fsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Sorry I know this is an old thread. Just wondering if you know if chaeto would last a long trip? As I live in London, and can’t for the life of me find anywhere that sells sterilised algae. Wondered if I were to order it from algae barn, if it would make it to the UK alive.

hometown9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Sorry I know this is an old thread. Just wondering if you know if chaeto would last a long trip? As I live in London, and can’t for the life of me find anywhere that sells sterilised algae. Wondered if I were to order it from algae barn, if it would make it to the UK alive.
I believe it will survive up to 10 days of transit, possibly longer. Depends on the conditions in which it is transported - ie temp exposure. I would imagine in the summer you would be in good shape.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Sterilized macro is the wrong attitude. Sanitized would be a more appropriate protocoal.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back