How to clean correctly your reservoir

David Barrientos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one,

How can I correctly clean my reservoir? Mi DI water comes out 0 TDS, but when y check mi reservoir mi TDS levels are 1..... I'm worried that my phosphate levels can build up in my tank... my reservoir is a glass cube with my auto top of pump in it......

What can I do ?
And is it possible that my phosphate levels can build up in my display tank because os 1 TDS?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! Tell us more about your tank - what size is it? how long has it been set up? do you have live rock in it? where did the live rock come from? etc.

#reefsquad

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it slimy? I actually just cleaned my 55 gallon drum the past couple of days for the first time in 3 years. I only have an in line TDS meter so I did not check the TDS, however I was pleasantly surprised there was no film at all in my barrel. My ato containers are 5 gallon buckets and they need to be washed out about every other month or so or biofilm will collect in them.

The most important thing is to keep it completely sealed so nothing can get in. When I cleaned mine I first wiped it down with water then I wiped it down with bleach. This is why it took a couple of days. I put it in the sun, then brought it back inside and stuck a fan inside it for a day. Once I was confident it was 100% dry started filling it up again.

Vinegar and citric acid are other good options for cleaning but since I don't plan on doing mine again for years I used bleach.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you must realize that TDS measurements are intended to confirm the proper function of your RO/DI unit not to measure the fitness of your finished water for use. I NEVER check the TDS of my RO/DI reservoir. A speck of dust or a touch of your finger will cause a TDS of one. Don't fret it for a moment. I would almost guarantee that mine would be greater than that.....as would everyone else's . I'm going to say your reservoir is exquisitely clean.

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will follow that up with a big welcome to the family. :D

1586047763984.gif

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you must realize that TDS measurements are intended to confirm the proper function of your RO/DI unit not to measure the fitness of your finished water for use. I NEVER check the TDS our of my RO/DI reservoir. A speck of dust or a touch of your finger will cause a TDS of one. Don't fret it for a moment. I would almost guarantee that mine would be greater than that.....as would everyone else's . I'm going to say your reservoir is exquisitely clean.

Yes, RODI water is a sponge. Dust, co2, etc will make the TDS in a barrel read more than zero.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back