How to clean old rock before put in the tank

phongluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some dry rock from someone it had been in his tank for a while with no water just took it home and pressure wash already can I put in the tank or do I have to soak with bleach thanks

nitroleviathan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a new tank with no livestock then you can put it in and let it cure/cycle. If the tank has livestock then you need to cure it seperatly

OP
OP
P

phongluc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have have to do after I bath it with muriatic acid do I have to dry the rock for how long before I can put it in the tank

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A member of my local forum wrote this

Live Rock - Reincarnated (Acid Bath)

PLEASE READ: Muriatic acid is an aqueous solution of hydrogen chloride gas (HCI). It is a highly corrosive acid. It is used commonly as a reactive chemical solution and is a strong acid that is completely solvent in aqueous solution. When it comes into contact with water it forms hydrochloric acid. It's important to wear protective gear when performing this procedure. I will be wearing plastic gloves, eye protection, and a respirator. When the muriatic acid is mixed with water, it releases some nasty fumes. It's best to do this in a very well ventilated area that has a slight breeze. It's best to stand upwind from the water container so that the wind blows away from you. Always pour the muriatic acid into the water. Never add water to acid.

The process:

1) scrub rock with a brush to knock off any lose sediment.
2) Put rock in a tub/bucket and fill with water until the rocks are completely covered by water. It's important to track how much water is added because it will determine how much acid to add.
3) Add acid: Buy muriatic acid from a pool supply store or your local home improvement store. Read the ingredients and determine how much HCI there is. We are shooting for a 3% hydrochloric solution. If I added 10 gallons of water and the muriatic acid contains 30% HCI, then I would need to add 1 gallon of the muriatic acid.
4) The mixed solution will start to bubble and disolve the rock. Once all of the bubbling has ceased, the reaction is over. Many people like to add baking soda to the solution at this point to ensure that the acid has been neutralized.
5) Drain the solution, rinse the rock, and let the rock soak in regular water.
6) Remove the rock and let it dry completely.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back