How to clean out the 1/4 inch gap between plastic on an internal overflow

rjk2404

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I'm starting this thread with the intention of helping others with this problem. While. trying to get myself some help as well.

So I bought a used 150 6 foot tank and it has two internal overflows. Well I started to do a very good cleaning. I have pulled out bulkhead to replace with new ones as well as the two returns and the two durso.

I was filling up with water to aid in scrubbing and I noticed an extremely excessive amount of sand and detritus coming out the bottom slits that are on the portion of the overflow that is in the tank.

My question is how can I get that cleaned out of the bottom the slits are about 5 inches from the bottom so there is a pocket of space that i can't get to.

I have tried using a small hose to push down inside and suck it out. That plan is getting some smaller things out but it would literally take an enormous amount of time to make a dent in it.

So I'm reaching out on here to see if anyone has any ideas because I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm thinking I might have to get the silicone around it and take off the whole overflow to clean it out. I'm looking for a different solution first.

Ok any suggestions ?

And go!!!

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I'm starting this thread with the intention of helping others with this problem. While. trying to get myself some help as well.

So I bought a used 150 6 foot tank and it has two internal overflows. Well I started to do a very good cleaning. I have pulled out bulkhead to replace with new ones as well as the two returns and the two durso.

I was filling up with water to aid in scrubbing and I noticed an extremely excessive amount of sand and detritus coming out the bottom slits that are on the portion of the overflow that is in the tank.

My question is how can I get that cleaned out of the bottom the slits are about 5 inches from the bottom so there is a pocket of space that i can't get to.

I have tried using a small hose to push down inside and suck it out. That plan is getting some smaller things out but it would literally take an enormous amount of time to make a dent in it.

So I'm reaching out on here to see if anyone has any ideas because I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm thinking I might have to get the silicone around it and take off the whole overflow to clean it out. I'm looking for a different solution first.

Ok any suggestions ?

And go!!!

Pictures?

OP
OP
R

rjk2404

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry the pics are ****** but hopefully you can see what I'm referring to.
b164328f8a9d2ada8c241b41fdf18ffa.jpg
a1c9094714cf0a439a94e365ca18c8b6.jpg
b374ec925dd53f6458eed86e557a1090.jpg

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the best I would think would be to break it loose and blow it out with water. They look like they would be a pain to clean.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting!

For detritus, you’ll probably want to soak with vinegar. It’s going to be a lot so I’d probably try and find a way to seal the bottom slits and fill just the overflow with vinegar....or you can go buy a crazy amount of it and fill your tank.....

As for the big rocks stuck in that double wallC Get a thick gauge metal coat hanger and bend to suit and pull those rocks out of there! If that doesn’t work, use the coat hanger to feed string down and around under the rocks and pull up on both ends of the string to yank the rocks up and out.

Other than those things, maybe you can get a bottle brush like the ones used for cleaning camelback hoses down in there

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would soak the insides of the overflows with vinegar to loosen as much up as possible. Then I believe I would take the tank outside, flip it upside down on some sturdy saw horses and blast all the insides of the overflows with a pressure attachment to my garden hose or pressure washer. Hopefully, everything in that space would just flush out on the ground.

OP
OP
R

rjk2404

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the best I would think would be to break it loose and blow it out with water. They look like they would be a pain to clean.
Yes they are proving to be very difficult to clean but I got the tank free so Its worth it to figure out how to get it clean thanks

OP
OP
R

rjk2404

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting!

For detritus, you’ll probably want to soak with vinegar. It’s going to be a lot so I’d probably try and find a way to seal the bottom slits and fill just the overflow with vinegar....or you can go buy a crazy amount of it and fill your tank.....

As for the big rocks stuck in that double wallC Get a thick gauge metal coat hanger and bend to suit and pull those rocks out of there! If that doesn’t work, use the coat hanger to feed string down and around under the rocks and pull up on both ends of the string to yank the rocks up and out.

Other than those things, maybe you can get a bottle brush like the ones used for cleaning camelback hoses down in there
Thank you I will try your suggestion I appreciate it

OP
OP
R

rjk2404

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would soak the insides of the overflows with vinegar to loosen as much up as possible. Then I believe I would take the tank outside, flip it upside down on some sturdy saw horses and blast all the insides of the overflows with a pressure attachment to my garden hose or pressure washer. Hopefully, everything in that space would just flush out on the ground.
That's a good idea as well thank you I'm gonna try mars rovers idea first for the simple fact that the tank is pretty heavy but if that doesn't work I'll definitely try it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back