How to clean sandbed without killing my fish?

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon tank with two clownfish and a lot of caulerpa both on the rocks and in the sand. I use a 50 gallon HOB filter and there is no skimmer or fuge; the caulerpa have done a decent job of exporting nutrients. I have been away from this tank for two years and need to do a big partial water change, in which I'm thinking of stirring up debris in the sand bed to siphon it out. However, I'm concerned that releasing too much debris will spike ammonia and kill the clownfish. How should I clean the sandbed in a way that doesn't cause too much pollution at once?

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon tank with two clownfish and a lot of caulerpa both on the rocks and in the sand. I use a 50 gallon HOB filter and there is no skimmer or fuge; the caulerpa have done a decent job of exporting nutrients. I have been away from this tank for two years and need to do a big partial water change, in which I'm thinking of stirring up debris in the sand bed to siphon it out. However, I'm concerned that releasing too much debris will spike ammonia and kill the clownfish. How should I clean the sandbed in a way that doesn't cause too much pollution at once?
stir up the sand bed and siphon as you stir, If the tank has been established for well over 2 years I believe the bacteria could keep up with all the gunk, and ensure aeration is increased to ensure your fish have plenty of oxygen.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider a rip clean at this stage. I had to do that when I moved my RSM250 into a new office, and it was easier than I thought, as it only took two hours to break down the tank, move it, rinse the substrate, and then refill it. I did pre-plan a lot of this by having ample fresh saltwater in two garbage bins, but everyone survived, including a very healthy population of feather dusters in the substrate.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is the sandbed?

What is the reason for the
"big water change"? You might need to do this and then worry about the sandbed later.

Assuming a 2-3 inch sandbed, and assuming there is not already some imbalance you're trying to correct with the water change, if you use a siphon tool that traps the majority of the waste, you can stir small sections while you do a water change but you'll have to judge how much you're polluting the tank as you go. Usually you're worried more about releasing pockets of hydrogen sulfide than ammonia. With just a HOB filter and without a skimmer, you'll need to really watch your parameters if you stir the sandbed very much... and add some carbon to the hob filter.

*I tend to be on the cautious side; you very well might be able to completely cloud your tank from stirring the sand and have zero losses, but personally, I would be conservative with the methods you use right now.

Good luck :)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is the sandbed?

What is the reason for the
"big water change"? You might need to do this and then worry about the sandbed later.

Assuming a 2-3 inch sandbed, and assuming there is not already some imbalance you're trying to correct with the water change, if you use a siphon tool that traps the majority of the waste, you can stir small sections while you do a water change but you'll have to judge how much you're polluting the tank as you go. Usually you're worried more about releasing pockets of hydrogen sulfide than ammonia. With just a JOB filter and without a skimmer, you'll need to really watch your parameters if you stir the sandbed very much... and add some carbon to the hob filter.

*I tend to be on the cautious side; you very well might be able to completely cloud your tank from stirring the sand and have zero losses, but personally, I would be conservative with the methods you use right now.

Good luck :)
Agreed going slow. After two years of not being touched and only a hob, I would only siphon the sand bed maybe a sq foot at a time.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed going slow. After two years of not being touched and only a hob, I would only siphon the sand bed maybe a sq foot at a time.
Square foot? IMHO, that's a pretty big section... Unless he's just stirring the very top of the sand.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could dose some heterotrophic bacteria and maybe iron in the long run to help prevent or minimize hydrogen sulfide

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back