How to Coax a Baby Butterfly to Eat

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, a couple days ago I got a really good price on two very small butterflyfish...yellow butterfly (Chaetodon andamanensis) and a Threadfin butterfly...I forgot to ask the girl at the shop to feed them before buying so now I'm here at home with them trying to coax them into eating because one looks a little too thin to be honest (that's my fault for not specifying the exact fish I wanted at the shop). I've never had butterflies before so before I go buying all types of special food, is there anything I should know about feeding them? They're the only two fish in a new FOWLR and I do notice them picking at rocks looking for food but they aren't the slightest interested in pellets and their mouths are so small I'm not sure I could cut fresh food into small enough pieces. Any tricks I should try?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call the LFS and ask them what exact food they fed the fish. And go buy it.
That's what I'll try but I just have a funny feeling that they haven't started eating since the shipment arrived...it's my fault for not making them feed them as I watched

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for these ideas guys, like I said, I haven't kept butterflies before so I wasn't sure what to try other than pellets or was considering trying masstick...I'd prefer to feed natural foods instead of dry pellets though

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know when you try this if you see a secondary benefit of water clarity. More on this later after you let me know. ;)
Ok, I'll be sure to keep you informed...it's night time here so I'll have to wait til morning to go out to the store...shucked oysters should work alright as well, right?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll be sure to keep you informed...it's night time here so I'll have to wait til morning to go out to the store...shucked oysters should work alright as well, right?
Yes, Clams, oysters, mussels and scallops are all mollusks, meaning they are members of the invertebrate phylum Mollusca.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Clams, oysters, mussels and scallops are all mollusks, meaning they are members of the invertebrate phylum Mollusca.
I'm curious now that you mentioned an increase in water clarity...How long would it take to be noticeable?

HK180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh god, I basically threw a ton of food at my copperband (alternating between fresh clams/oysters, live worms, mysis, and ova every 3-4 hours). After 5 days, he started eating the oyster (I think from watching my other fish)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh god, I basically threw a ton of food at my copperband (alternating between fresh clams/oysters, live worms, mysis, and ova every 3-4 hours). After 5 days, he started eating the oyster (I think from watching my other fish)
I'm hoping mine take to the oyster quickly so that they can strengthen their immune systems...one of them looks a little thinner than he should be

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seafood deli counter that has live oysters or clams.. no FW clams

Crack one open and serve on the bottom of the tank. The smell will attract them to feed on it

View Badges
Yea I had a golden butterfly fish my favorite fish and I started blue eyes with half clams 2 a day after 1 week of this would take out 1/2 of calm and put mysis shrimp in did that for 3 weeks blue eyes never notice but after 3 weeks fish was only eating mysis shrimp, I keep the shells and would put flakes in after a few months ,well story is after 3 months blue eyes was eating everything I would throw in tank .so teach the fish what to eat little by little ,you can do this with every fish just take patience,butterfly fish are beautiful

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Seafood deli counter that has live oysters or clams.. no FW clams

Crack one open and serve on the bottom of the tank. The smell will attract them to feed on it
just cracked three fresh clams ope and put them in the tank...so far, no response but I'd think after a little while they'll give em a taste

View Badges
I
just cracked three fresh clams ope and put them in the tank...so far, no response but I'd think after a little while they'll give em a taste
If that don't work try this,since they picking at rocks looking for food take the calms out of shell slice them up small bites ,turn off pumps for a few hrs and put that food on rocks where they was picking at.Only try 1 shell at a time also ,find some small mysis shrimp also and put on rocks when pumps are off ,since they was picking at rocks they do eat just have to find what they eat

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back