how to connect fresh air to skimmer?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by authentic, Jan 3, 2018.

1. authentic

authentic Well-Known Member

looking to raise Ph in my tank with fresh air.NYOS skimmer has flexible tubing between venturi and air intake.what kind of tubing can I use to go outside? its approximately 30feet ,is 1/4 in flexible tubing like i use on dosers etc big enough to draw air into the line?T fitting?will this effect the dialing in of my bubbles?

smiley28 likes this.
    Tags:

2. Waters

Waters "...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall." R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I am using the same skimmer, but I am drawing air from a reactor filled with soda lime. Since doing so, my PH has went from high 7s, to 8.1-8.3 consistently. I just connected tubing that fit over the air intake nozzle on the NYOS skimmer, and directed it to the reactor. Whether you draw air from outside or through media, it will not effect the skimmer's performance at all.

smiley28 likes this.
  3. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member CTARS Member

Air is affected by tube/pipe friction just like water (if you doubt, try blowing through a 30' length of air hose without going purple in the face). I'm unfamiliar with that particular skimmer, but I'd advise you upsize the airline tubing of you are going to have 30' of it. During the warmer months I pull outside air to my skimmer and use 1" flex PVC ..... and it's only about 10'.

WWIII likes this.
  4. Jcsquared

Jcsquared Member

I used pex water line and reduced it right at the skimmer my run was about 40’ I tried first using same size tubing and did not work you must go atleast double the size hose

5. Breadman03

Breadman03 Well-Known Member Catskill Reef Member

I used an oversized piece of tubing for my Lifereef skimmer, I think 3/8". It retained skimming performance and boosted my pH a bit, but my Venturi would clog quickly. I would notice my bubble line shift after two days and the skimmer would overlfow if I didn't clean it before the third. I stopped running the air line for now, but am likely to go back to it with my ATO running into it to keep the Venturi clean.

6. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Exactly, you are going to have to increase the size to help with resistance due to the length of the tubing, You do not want to restrict the air to your skimmer. You can Just get a tube with the inside diameter the same size as the outside diameter of the skimmers tubing. You may need to go bigger yet and there are so many ways to do it.

Run the tubing into a box with some filter floss or some filter in or bug or something can crawl in and block the tubing or you may suck allot of dirt and dust too.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted