how to connect fresh air to skimmer?

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looking to raise Ph in my tank with fresh air.NYOS skimmer has flexible tubing between venturi and air intake.what kind of tubing can I use to go outside? its approximately 30feet ,is 1/4 in flexible tubing like i use on dosers etc big enough to draw air into the line?T fitting?will this effect the dialing in of my bubbles?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to raise Ph in my tank with fresh air.NYOS skimmer has flexible tubing between venturi and air intake.what kind of tubing can I use to go outside? its approximately 30feet ,is 1/4 in flexible tubing like i use on dosers etc big enough to draw air into the line?T fitting?will this effect the dialing in of my bubbles?
I am using the same skimmer, but I am drawing air from a reactor filled with soda lime. Since doing so, my PH has went from high 7s, to 8.1-8.3 consistently. I just connected tubing that fit over the air intake nozzle on the NYOS skimmer, and directed it to the reactor. Whether you draw air from outside or through media, it will not effect the skimmer's performance at all.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air is affected by tube/pipe friction just like water (if you doubt, try blowing through a 30' length of air hose without going purple in the face). I'm unfamiliar with that particular skimmer, but I'd advise you upsize the airline tubing of you are going to have 30' of it. During the warmer months I pull outside air to my skimmer and use 1" flex PVC ..... and it's only about 10'.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an oversized piece of tubing for my Lifereef skimmer, I think 3/8". It retained skimming performance and boosted my pH a bit, but my Venturi would clog quickly. I would notice my bubble line shift after two days and the skimmer would overlfow if I didn't clean it before the third. I stopped running the air line for now, but am likely to go back to it with my ATO running into it to keep the Venturi clean.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Air is affected by tube/pipe friction just like water (if you doubt, try blowing through a 30' length of air hose without going purple in the face). I'm unfamiliar with that particular skimmer, but I'd advise you upsize the airline tubing of you are going to have 30' of it. During the warmer months I pull outside air to my skimmer and use 1" flex PVC ..... and it's only about 10'.

Exactly, you are going to have to increase the size to help with resistance due to the length of the tubing, You do not want to restrict the air to your skimmer. You can Just get a tube with the inside diameter the same size as the outside diameter of the skimmers tubing. You may need to go bigger yet and there are so many ways to do it.

Run the tubing into a box with some filter floss or some filter in or bug or something can crawl in and block the tubing or you may suck allot of dirt and dust too.

Last edited:

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to run the fresh air line and does it work? I am wanting to change to the NYOS 120 because I here they are very quiet. Right now I am using the Reef Octopus 150SS which draws air with no problem and works fine. I am just being OCD about the noise level ... lol. Rich now I run a small line about three feet that transitions into a 1" inside diameter line that is 30' long.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about doing a 20-30' long 1" pipe to pull air from the outdoors. I worry about the length though..

Ray668

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull air from outside thru 1” pvc about 25’ and it feeds a Regal 200 with no problem

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4” run with a tee at the end, wrapped in steel mesh works well for me. It’s maybe a 20’ run. I can easily breath through it, and my skimmer doesn’t change bubbling when I connect it, meaning no significant restriction.

I do recommend a tee at the end, especially if you wrap it with something to keep the bugs out. As an extra paranoia step, I also pass the air through a carbon filter. Unlikely I would suck in bad air from the roof soffit vents, but you can’t be too careful.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back