How To Control your Aquarium with Apex and Alexa

Do you control your tank using Apex and Alexa ?

• Yes !!!

Votes: 61 9.4%
  • I Have Apex Controller, however I am not using Alexa

Votes: 280 42.9%
  • I Don't Have Apex

Votes: 298 45.7%
  • Other thoughts, Discuss in Thread.

Votes: 13 2.0%

• Total voters

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that the (slim) majority of respondents have Apex. I would have guess maybe 15-20%, guess it must really be worth it.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Alexa with Apex since July, when the beta started. I seemed to do better with Alexa than most testers right off the bat, but everyone experienced substantial improvements the more they used it. Voice recognition and functionality also went through a lot of upgrades during testing and I personally find the system very functional now, although I understand that some people still experience issues. I use it every day for status reports, briefly turning off a skimmer, reactor or powerhead when my hands are occupied, water changes, or just temporarily changing lighting to show friends what corals look like under deepest blue or midday sun, for a few examples.

Just got a Dot last week and have been playing with it and fusion. I find that status reports, feed modes, and logging test results work great! Any alias I have setup, most times alexa doesn't understand me and I just get the spinning blue and green circle, then nothing happens.

If Alexa doesn't respond at all, the problem is that it doesn't recognize that you're trying to access Apex Fusion. Trying saying 'Apex Fusion' differently. I get great recognition when I pronounce it with a hard emphasis on the 'A' in Apex. Also, try using 'tell Apex Fusion', rather than 'ask Apex Fusion'; for me this works much better.

You can change the way it responds to you where it answers to Echo and not Elexa

If an Echo device is having trouble recognizing commands in general, you can try a different 'wake word' than the default 'Alexa'. Other options are 'Echo', 'Amazon', and 'Computer'. Echo is what I use.

I set this up but found it to be a bit gimmicky. The feed mode is the most useful for me but a lot of the other commands are sort of difficult to remember the syntax correctly. I find it’s much easier and faster to just open the app on my phone

Syntax that will work is a lot more variable than suggested in the official documentation. For example, I have two systems. Instead of using the official phrase to change which tank is being controlled, I just say, 'Alexa, tell Apex Fusion change tanks' and it works. Also, small connector words can be changed or omitted entirely and sometimes this results in better recognition for some people. For example, I now never use any prepositions or other connectors. I just speak as if I'm telling Alexa to give Apex a command. " Alexa, tell Apex Fusion, 'Start Water Change' "

Also, did you know that you don't even need to buy an Echo device at all to use Alexa? Just download the app, and you have Alexa on your phone.

I really like my Apex and I am a tech guy but I cannot bring myself to have yet another device in my home that is constantly listening. Bad enough I have this danged phone that I cannot really turn off....

Each device has a button on it that can be pressed, which lights a red ring and turns off all audio monitoring. And yes, it really does so, it's been verified by tech users.

Says who? The company that makes all it's money by selling your preferences to advertisers?

Catch the story about Alexa calling the cops when it heard some idiot beating his girlfriend? Yeah.

I totally understand your concern but honestly I feel the risk with Alexa is minimal, assuming you're not running a meth lab in your home or something. It's certainly infinitely less dangerous than Facebook and most everyone seems ok with that (not me, never joined, never will.)

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @rkpetersen for the great comments and Info !

Each device has a button on it that can be pressed, which lights a red ring and turns off all audio monitoring. And yes, it really does so, it's been verified by tech users.
my computer is next to my tank, and when I was editing this video, Alexa was starting feed cycles, turn lights on/off every time I am working on the voice command part of the video. eventfully I had to put her into sleep. it was funny lol

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand your concern but honestly I feel the risk with Alexa is minimal, assuming you're not running a meth lab in your home or something. It's certainly infinitely less dangerous than Facebook and most everyone seems ok with that (not me, never joined, never will.)

I agree with your point that risk is minimal, but it depends on what Risks you setup for yourself.
-A status report is Zero Risk.
-Controlling a Water Change pump as water reaches top of Bucket is a Spill risk.
-etc

And as I mentioned before. Putting aside voice recognition.
The Delay or non-responsiveness of Alexa/Fusion is TWO FOLD ( Alexa Delay and Fusion Delay Combined).

I have 24 devices that are controlled by Alexa. 2 of them Apex.
(On a Gigabit Ethernet network, and a LinkSys Velop 3 NODE Wifi Mesh Network that is Lightning fast and Wifi Coverage Perfect)

I don't expect response and accuracy even when all things are setup and working perfectly MOST OF THE TIME.

I have a PLAN B for everything Automated. Automation is a Luxury and Novelty which I really enjoy when it works.

(eg. I would never trust my safety to Alexa/Fusion or Alexa/GoogleHome, etc) Would you?

truperc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know when we will be able to use Google Home to control the Apex?

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set it up and enabled it on echo and when I ask alexa to do soemthing she responds with "do you want me to open apex fusion" a bit annoying it dosn't work directly

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set it up and enabled it on echo and when I ask alexa to do soemthing she responds with "do you want me to open apex fusion" a bit annoying it dosn't work directly

That happens to me of I ‘stumble’ a little bit with the invocation command, or there is background noise and I don’t enunciate loud enough over it.

Try soeakungva touch slower, more deliberately and try to project your voice (apologies if you’ve already tried this)

Once I modified my speech pattern a little bit (I have s HEAVY Scots accent) she’ll will read back my stats with about a 1.5-2 second pause (I assume it is her polling the data)

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a huge fan of automation and AI, but I have serious trust issues regarding Amazon eavesdropping on my life. I use Apex on all of my tanks and I am guessing the Alexa API was low hanging fruit from an integration standpoint, but I'd really rather not give Amazon more data to monetize, it's bad enough that roughly 50% of my discretionary spending goes to them.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a cool project. I could never do it though, I have to many friends that like to mess with me! Lol I cant even setup my xbox kinect without everyone yelling"xbox!"

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Echo is basically a voice activated reminder/alarm machine. I'll occasionally ask it something stupid like what it's favorite color is -- Spoiler, Ultraviolet. It glows with everything.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Privacy and intimacy as we know it
Will be a memory
Among many to be passed down
To those who never knew

Living in the pupil of one thousand eyes" ~ Chuck Schuldiner
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin

Wbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several echo dots and a plus. I only use Alexa to control a smart outlet that my ATO is plugged into. Some day I'll work on my other ecosmart products. I have 3 mp10s and 40s, and radions. Bit I don't have an Apex controller, yet...
Got to finish my BSN first...

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, if you've got nothing to hide, it's all OK, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument

I never said that.

You use a cell phone? Or a landline? Or email?

Look up Echelon. UK surveillance system that checks EVERY single piece of communication in the uk constantly.

Now tell me you don’t think the US has a similar system in place. Your already being monitored. Adding Alexa with its 7 second clips when you use the wakeword is hardly the worst that’s happening.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll happily play conspiracy theory sovereign citizen bingo in the Lounge if you like, but I don’t think it’s appropriate in this thread....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back