How To Control your Aquarium with Apex and Alexa

Do you control your tank using Apex and Alexa ?

• Yes !!!

Votes: 61 9.4%
  • I Have Apex Controller, however I am not using Alexa

Votes: 280 42.9%
  • I Don't Have Apex

Votes: 298 45.7%
  • Other thoughts, Discuss in Thread.

Votes: 13 2.0%

• Total voters

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a video in which i show how I have installed and configured the new Amazon Eco Dot to work with Alexa and apex fusion, so I can monitor and controller my 180 gallons reef tank.

video contains some program examples for feeding, turning lights on and off, turning skimmer on and off , status report and loging test results

Hope You find this helpful !

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Dot last week and have been playing with it and fusion. I find that status reports, feed modes, and logging test results work great! Any alias I have setup, most times alexa doesn't understand me and I just get the spinning blue and green circle, then nothing happens.

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Dot last week and have been playing with it and fusion. I find that status reports, feed modes, and logging test results work great! Any alias I have setup, most times alexa doesn't understand me and I just get the spinning blue and green circle, then nothing happens.
Yes sometimes I am facing issues with alexa understanding me specially with my accent. Also if the TV was lound or there is a lot of noise around it will give alexa a hrad time try to recognize the commands

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set mine up to do status reports etc.

Is there a way to configure it so if BOB switches are open, it doesn’t report status, but I’d say my skimmate container is full and it’s switch is closed it’ll report it?

Right now, it’s listing all the switches as open, but I’d rather hear it’s status only if it was closed.

Thanks

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set mine up to do status reports etc.

Is there a way to configure it so if BOB switches are open, it doesn’t report status, but I’d say my skimmate container is full and it’s switch is closed it’ll report it?

Right now, it’s listing all the switches as open, but I’d rather hear it’s status only if it was closed.

Thanks

I am not aware if this is possible, as mentioned in neptune forums it can give the status of the switch as open/closed.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some coding in the Neptune dude would probably be needed. Maybe add a ‘conditional’ box in the Alexa options on fusion and populate it with ‘if’ conditions

So, you could add ‘sw1’ in the conditional box, and code it something like “if sw1 closed, include in Alexa Report”. Of course, you could have the “include in Alexa report” part as a global command for the entire box, and just have user populate it with 2 drop down menus... one for the switch name and one fir open/closed fir the state

I’m not a coder— I have no idea how easy that would be but it’s probably easier than I think

Also- what if we could tie in email alerts to Alexa? Have Alexa come up in the recipient box on the email alert set up page, and Alexa could notify you of the Alert as if it was a notification, like she does when the FedEx dude drops packages on my door step in the rain

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some coding in the Neptune dude would probably be needed. Maybe add a ‘conditional’ box in the Alexa options on fusion and populate it with ‘if’ conditions

So, you could add ‘sw1’ in the conditional box, and code it something like “if sw1 closed, include in Alexa Report”. Of course, you could have the “include in Alexa report” part as a global command for the entire box, and just have user populate it with 2 drop down menus... one for the switch name and one fir open/closed fir the state

I’m not a coder— I have no idea how easy that would be but it’s probably easier than I think

Also- what if we could tie in email alerts to Alexa? Have Alexa come up in the recipient box on the email alert set up page, and Alexa could notify you of the Alert as if it was a notification, like she does when the FedEx dude drops packages on my door step in the rain

These are nice features to be added. I am positive with time more features will be added soon by Neptune. They keep developing and upgrading.
Hope if someone from Neptune have answer or any comments @Terence

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set mine up about a month ago. It does work, but sometimes the wording needed is a bit convoluted, and you need to say it exactly.

I have yet to have it log an alk measurement properly. P04 and calcium work because it is PPB and PPM, but what do I say for alk?

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set this up but found it to be a bit gimmicky. The feed mode is the most useful for me but a lot of the other commands are sort of difficult to remember the syntax correctly. I find it’s much easier and faster to just open the app on my phone

Drex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so awesome have had mine setup for awhile now nice not have to pick up my phone or a controller

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Set it up?? Im never home LOL
Heard of this concept and want to know more before I make attempt

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would use it especially for feeding as I turn off 3 of my pumps and leave the 4th one on to disperse the food. Could you set it up for the pumps to stay off a set length of time like the A,B,C and D feed modes?

Drex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say any Alexa device if im right cause I have a few in my house that or linked together and they not the dot and it works fine

Drex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will even do test results awesome don't have to pickup and open app on phone or go to computer

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back