How To: Convert 32mm PVC pipe to 1" pipe. Red Sea plumbing used as an example.

Donslaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the write up on this!
I had already researched and went a different direction. I wanted to add it here for others to see another possible option.

I went with the Metric to Standard Union found out on CoralVue's site
I was in the process of trying to figure out how to get the part #42221 converted and ran across your post.
This will work perfectly I think. I just need to get the ABS to PC glue and think I'll be all set.
Thanks again!

20210219_134344.jpg
DiefsReef Is this the 32MM to 1" union from Coralvue? Just want to be sure! Having a heck of a time getting the right parts to convert.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DiefsReef Is this the 32MM to 1" union from Coralvue? Just want to be sure! Having a heck of a time getting the right parts to convert.
Yes it was, They sent the wrong fitting the first time. They had sent 32mm on both sides. Called and spoke with support and they resent the order with correct size next time.
SKU# PVC-UNCPLG-1

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the planning process of a build, I was wondering, would it be possible to swap the whole plumbing in a red sea (i.e. 425xl)? Drain, bulkheads and everything to US size? I have seen few posts of people with waterboxes doing it..

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the planning process of a build, I was wondering, would it be possible to swap the whole plumbing in a red sea (i.e. 425xl)? Drain, bulkheads and everything to US size? I have seen few posts of people with waterboxes doing it..

I assume anything could be possible. I don't see the need for it. What would you gain from all the time and money it would take to make the changes?

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing that there is no mix of ABS and PVC (weaker bond) and everything is top notch schedule 80, instead of some chinese c**p

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 mm is about .5 mm larger than 1 1/4 inch. Can't you just sand the pipe a little bit to fit a standard 1 1/4 inch coupling? Then the drain would realize the intended max flow rate.

I have a RS 425XL and I'm looking to install a gate valve in place of the stock valve.

Leisuretron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question that comes up allot is "How do I convert my metric plumbing to US spec?". Red Sea owners are always asking this.

Here I will explain what Red Sea owners need to do to get a clean finish and conversion. Also the adapter I use can be used on any 32mm plumbing to convert it to 1" plumbing.

First thing many US Red Sea owners want to do is modify plumbing to suit their needs. There are several different ways this can be done. This is the method I figured out and it's very inexpensive to do.

If a owner wants to switch their Red Sea system over from where the bulkhead exits the tank you need to get yourself Red Sea Part 42221. The websites that list this part will say it's meant for different size tanks and models. Disregard what the description is telling you, you’re using this part to modify your system.
This part comes with a nipple on it.

Remove the nipple. It simply unscrews. It might take a little effort.

This part can be used in 2 different ways.

1. You can screw in a ¾” PVC adapter direct and plumb from that.

2. You can use a 32mm slip to 1” PVC pipe adapter.

The adapter can be glued direct to the outside of part 42221 with ABS to PVC glue. Or the adapter can fit direct over the stock 32mm pipe plumbing on the Red Sea or other brand tank.
I used the above method to convert the return pipe plumbing from 25mm to 32mm/1" It restricts the flow less than the stock plumbing.

Here’s a comparison of the 32mm/1” vs 3/4” threaded setup. You can see how the 32mm/1” version has much better flow.

32mm/1”

3/4” threaded

The Red Sea 42221 parts can be sourced direct from Red Sea. I find their shipping to be very high. I instead ordered from Marine and Reef and saved $10 in shipping.

The 32mm slip to 1" PVC pipe adapter was found at FLEXPVC.

This is the ABS to PVC adhesive I used. I got it from Lowes but most Big Box stores will have it.

This is my part with the adapter installed and I can add any 1" coupler, elbow or 45 degree bend to it I want. This will adapt to my flow sensor and to my Pump.

The finished project. The mod is the far left pipe. RedSea’s stock plumbing is the center and far right.
One, I want to say thank you! I ordered a few of those parts. Am I missing something though? I can't see the pics you referenced.

Schumanistan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I go with a 3/4" adapter (using plenty of tape) and run straight from that instead of going with the 32mm to 1" slip will a 3/4" drain be okay for a MAX E 170?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back