How to convert lighting spectrum from deep blue to more white?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 3 AI primes running over my 36” tank. Great lights, love them, and solid coloration and growth from coral!

my only complaint is that because it’s a pretty blue spectrum (running a custom one) my fish look kind of bland. I was hoping to change it over to a bit more of a white spectrum.

How can I do this without annoying my corals? If I do change it, can I just change it to more white and less blue/uv provided the wattage stays the same?

I do like the Saxby schedule, would lit be an issue if I just swapped schedules to Saxby? I assume maybe(?) because when you buy new coral, the light spectrums are all different from your tank Vs where they came from and they seem okay? Or is this wrong way to think?

Thanks!

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just add some white. Where are you now?
Not sure. Not at home so can’t view the schedule. Maybe 20% at max? Uv/blue/violet are around 90%
Go ahead and change it to whatever you like, just do it slowly.
So I can just download Saxby and set like the acclimation period or something?

essentially I’d want to switch to Saxby. Do I have to slowly manually adjust stuff to hit that level, or can I just download it and set like the acclimation period to like 20 days and start at 50%?

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im unfamiliar with any of the programs or how their acclimation program or schedule once, but any changes in a reef are best done slowly. If it were me i would start figure out where you are vs where you want to go and start making small adjuatments accordingly and see how your corals react. Ie if youre at 90% intensity blue and 10% white intensity and yoy want to be at 60/40 or whatever start by say changing to 85/15 and see how stuff reacts, then go to 80/20 etc

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. Not at home so can’t view the schedule. Maybe 20% at max? Uv/blue/violet are around 90%

So I can just download Saxby and set like the acclimation period or something?

essentially I’d want to switch to Saxby. Do I have to slowly manually adjust stuff to hit that level, or can I just download it and set like the acclimation period to like 20 days and start at 50%?
Go up to 10% more today. If you still think it's too blue, wait a few days and go up 5% more. Still to blue, wait again a few more days, ect...
20% currently is not much, this is why first jump 10% max. From there tone that number down until you find your sweet spot.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back