How to culture copepods?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to... Just have to decide what type of tank / container I wanna use. I like the margarita tank idea. Easier to empty. If I let them live right next to my tank would the overspill of light effect the growth ?

Phyto is another thing I need to work thru. If I can master it I would save 40 bucks a month
Not super hard. Need light. Heat if cold. I used a light

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to... Just have to decide what type of tank / container I wanna use. I like the margarita tank idea. Easier to empty. If I let them live right next to my tank would the overspill of light effect the growth ?

Phyto is another thing I need to work thru. If I can master it I would save 40 bucks a month
Next to your tank will be fine.
Phyto is not difficult either, the most important thing is to sanitize everything before starting, I use rubbing alcohol, clean everything and then rinse with tap water. Then your off.

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some repurposed pretzel containers and made them into what Poseidon systems sells. I like that they are larger and didn’t cost much. I use flex led light around the phyto and no light on the pods. No heat in either culture. I bought bags from Amazon to put inside so I don’t have to wash them out, just sanitize lids. I keep the pod culture going all the time, but the phyto maybe once every two months or so, it makes so much. I use a fertilizer from Mercer of Montana for the phyto, and feed the phyto to the pods.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I always keep about 1/3 of the container to start it back up. Dose 2 tanks with a 1/3 gallon each, save 1/3. Feed other stuff in between the time it takes to regrow. Picture also on another thread. I have a cycle that I reset ever 6 days about. Pods in back jar.

Attachments

• phyto.jpg
    phyto.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 48

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one of those drink dispensers like for parties or ice tea. I just open the spout let the water drain into a seive or a bowl, clean and start again. Also would drain some water out for the tank into a seive and just replace water and phyto. Grew my own phyto too. Should do this again...

What are you using as a seive to capture the copepods when you drain the tank?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of womans tights will do i guess.anything to let water through but not the pods.
Do ask the mrs before take tights as she may think you got a fetish going on ha ha

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a set of 4 screens/sieves I think from the brine hatchery place. So I run the water through the smallest ones. Worked great

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using as a seive to capture the copepods when you drain the tank?
53 micron sive catches just about every size copepod. Tig pods you can get away with a higher micron size if need be . But general purpose I try and stick around the 53 mark

Unheardreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some repurposed pretzel containers and made them into what Poseidon systems sells. I like that they are larger and didn’t cost much. I use flex led light around the phyto and no light on the pods. No heat in either culture. I bought bags from Amazon to put inside so I don’t have to wash them out, just sanitize lids. I keep the pod culture going all the time, but the phyto maybe once every two months or so, it makes so much. I use a fertilizer from Mercer of Montana for the phyto, and feed the phyto to the pods.
Super late reply but what do you search for when looking for the bags on Amazon? I just keep getting ziplocks for results

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super late reply but what do you search for when looking for the bags on Amazon? I just keep getting ziplocks for results
use words like "mesh sieve" and "100 micron mesh" or "100 micron sieve", that should bring up more options. I bought some "brine shrimp sieves" from amazon, then later bought different size micron meshes from amazon and made my own different size sieves

Unheardreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use words like "mesh sieve" and "100 micron mesh" or "100 micron sieve", that should bring up more options. I bought some "brine shrimp sieves" from amazon, then later bought different size micron meshes from amazon and made my own different size sieves
Not looking for the sieve bug that bags that the other poster uses inside his container instead of having to sanitize every time. Kind of like the Poseidon reef bags. I want to build a setup and would rather use the bags. Poseidon reef sells 20 bags in a refill for $15. That sounds loins a crazy

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back