How to cure live rock that is now dry?

jacqueline1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a large amount of live rock over a year ago. Only some of it went into my tank cause I suck at aquascaping and I already had my tank running with fish and a small amount of live rock for over a year which makes it difficult to move stuff around. I ended up putting the rest into buckets and it's completely dried and it's been over a year now, but I want to use the rest of the rock now. I've had some of it in a bucket filled with saltwater with a heater and powerhead for about 4 weeks now (with 3 water changes), but I'm not sure if there's something else I need to do considering its been out of water for so long. I did ammonia test and it's at .50ppm so obviously it's not ready to put in the tank. I know people will use bleach or vinegar, but I'm hesitant to use it, especially the bleach. The rock is still red and I want to try and keep the coloring and I'm pretty sure that will be stripped off the rock if I use bleach. Is there something else I can put in the water to help this process or changes I should make?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a bottle of microbacter 7 which should finish things off. It will help break things down as well as add some bacteria to deal with ammonia. I like to have gfo in with a rock that is curing as it helps get rid off the phosphates from the rotting crud

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it Live rock sold to you wet or life rock sold dry?
It is basically dry, dead rock with some dead organisms on it I suppose. If it was genuine live, porous rock, that it might be worth saving it, otherwise you could also consider buying fresh, dry rock and skip all the hustle of cleaning it.

OP
OP
jacqueline1989

jacqueline1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a bottle of microbacter 7 which should finish things off. It will help break things down as well as add some bacteria to deal with ammonia. I like to have gfo in with a rock that is curing as it helps get rid off the phosphates from the rotting crud
I just ordered the MicroBacter Clean which I believe does the same thing as mircobacter 7, but also targets cleaning live rock and other surfaces. I've used mircobacter 7 in my tank before but I felt like it didn't do much, but I guess we'll see!

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the MicroBacter Clean which I believe does the same thing as mircobacter 7, but also targets cleaning live rock and other surfaces. I've used mircobacter 7 in my tank before but I felt like it didn't do much, but I guess we'll see!
Hope you cleaned the rock before just soaking it in saltwater.

Is it just soaking in fresh saltwater and nothing else?

Back