How to determine the correct water level in my V3 sump?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 250 with a V3 sump. Does anyone have a recommendation for the correct water level should be in each of the sections of the V3 sump?
I keep the last baffle all the way down to allow for my RedSea Skimmer water depth. The return chamber should be level with the included float

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the baffle all the way down after the second chamber or the skimmer overflows, that controls the depth in the return chamber. I have the removable baffle installed in the first chamber to minimize the splashing noise by the filter cups. Depth is really driven by what your skimmer needs to perform optimally.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the last baffle all the way down to allow for my RedSea Skimmer water depth. The return chamber should be level with the included float

By baffle are you referring to the adjustable gate in the back that separates the main part of the sump on the right with the pump section located in the left rear?

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By the way, are you using the RS RSK-300 skimmer?

Also would it be possible to post some pictures of your sump showing both the skimmer and the rear gate between the skimmer and the pump sections?

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, are you using the RS RSK-300 skimmer?

Also would it be possible to post some pictures of your sump showing both the skimmer and the rear gate between the skimmer and the pump sections?

RSK300 skimmer. Last baffle all the way down works perfect for the water height for this skimmer.

20191028_190732.jpg

Joel Franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a v3 sumo in my 625 and could get my Red Sea skimmer in the right height. Even with the baffle all the way down it was sitting in 9” of water. I had to purchase a stand to raise it up.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RSK300 skimmer. Last baffle all the way down works perfect for the water height for this skimmer.

20191028_190732.jpg

Thanks for the picture.

I also have this V3 sump and when I put the rear gate all the way down the water in the pump section goes above the white float for the reservoir tank. That is why I have been using a shelf that elevates the skimmer about 1 inch.

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the picture.

I also have this V3 sump and when I put the rear gate all the way down the water in the pump section goes above the white float for the reservoir tank. That is why I have been using a shelf that elevates the skimmer about 1 inch.
That will work as well. The reason the pump chamber water level looks higher is because when you lower it, the baffle changes the overall water volume. You can leave it all the way down if you want to use the stand. It is ok that the water level is above the float. It will evaporate off in a few hours. It's only about 2 cups of water.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will work as well. The reason the pump chamber water level looks higher is because when you lower it, the baffle changes the overall water volume. You can leave it all the way down if you want to use the stand. It is ok that the water level is above the float. It will evaporate off in a few hours. It's only about 2 cups of water.

I should try it your way and see if it makes a difference as I am constantly having an issue getting good skimmate. It surprises me as I currently have 10 fish in my Reefer 250.

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 250 v3 sump and an rsk300 skimmer. Had trouble at first with skimming but it’s settled down now and I can dial in to get yellow water or black gunk. My baffle is approx. 1cm lower than the highest it can go (I’m sure I got this from the sump manual) and my skimmer is raised approx. 1.5 inches. This gives me a return chamber water depth of 6 inches which I also think is recommended in the sump manual.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Last night I removed my shelf, removed some water and lowered the rear gate almost all of the way down and the water level in the rear pump section is now 6.5 inches. I had to increase the level of the small bubbles half way up the neck to get some dark foam aka skimmate flow over the top into the container.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back