How to diagnose/fix T5 issue? One of two channels seems to be "out"

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I tried this earlier over in the equipment thread but haven't had a response yet. Hopefully a few enterprising reefers have some ideas for me. I have an Auroral Giesemann 60" light fixture (4 X 80 watt T5 plus four banks of LEDs), and today two of the T5s (the White/Red channel on their bluetooth app) are not coming on. Last night there were a few power outages and I'm afraid that has something to do with it, but I can't be sure.

I don't really even know where to start here. I've switched out bulbs, reloaded the light program, turned the fixture on and off and unplugged and plugged in the step-up transformer, but so far no luck with anything.

Anybody have any ideas of what to do next? The light has three power sources - two DC transformers that power the LEDs, and a 110v to 220v transformer for the T5s. Since one of the T5 channels is working fine, I have to assume the transformer is fine. Any idea where to look next, or how? I'd hate for this light to be down for long with all my acros doing so well right now...

Thanks!

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have specific knowledge of this light , but I have fixed several T5 setups.

Is it possible that they have separate ballasts mounted somewhere within the fixture? Have you taken it apart to trace the wires for the non operating set of T5’s?

I have replaced ballasts before and I have had one go out but not the other. Mine were wired to the same switch etc... but internally they were wired to separate T 5 ballasts.

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into the fixture from the side, there do appear to be two separate ballasts. I haven't had that part of the fixture apart yet, but it does look accessible once i remove the bulbs and the reflector. Is it a safe assumption that the ballast is out, and if so, any idea how universal these are? since this is the 60" unit, these ballasts run from a step-up transformer on 220v I believe...

TheGreatWave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could switch the ballast around so you could verify the app and associated controls are working. (Whatever switched the ballasts on and off)

A suitable replacement ballast should be fairly easy to get.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into the fixture from the side, there do appear to be two separate ballasts. I haven't had that part of the fixture apart yet, but it does look accessible once i remove the bulbs and the reflector. Is it a safe assumption that the ballast is out, and if so, any idea how universal these are? since this is the 60" unit, these ballasts run from a step-up transformer on 220v I believe...
If you have power and you've tried new bulbs the only other thing that can be bad is the ballast (unless you have a bad wire or bulb socket but that's not as likely as a ballast) Once you get it apart look at the label on the ballast and find a replacement with identical specs

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could switch the ballast around so you could verify the app and associated controls are working. (Whatever switched the ballasts on and off)

A suitable replacement ballast should be fairly easy to get.
Good idea, I'm used to a simple setup like I have and I forgot about the possibility of the controls

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will open up and test the ballast. It's a 2 X 80w 220/240v dimmable ballast, euro spec I guess so probably not as easy to find in the US but I think I found something similar on ebay...

Here is the ballast:
Osram ballast.png

And here is the ebay one:

ebay ballast.jpg

Still coming from the UK but way cheaper than the replacement ballast on Giesemann's site...

Do you think it will work? Or is there a closer source for the correct ballast above that anyone is aware of?

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get pretty much any 2x80w digital ballast unless you want to mess around with starters. Just make sure to follow the wiring diagram provided on them.

TheGreatWave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he may have missed that you have a 220V and yes it sounds like you need a dimmable version. Still a reasonably ubiquitous ballast in the lighting industry.

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've scoured the internet and have yet to find a dimmable 2 X 80w 220/240v T5 ballast. Ended up ordering directly from Giesemann and paying overseas shipping (OUCH). If anyone can provide a link to one closer though, that would be awesome! The ballast I posted a pic of above from the UK will not be a correct replacement according to the seller, btw...

Thanks!

Back