how to dim leds?

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
making and led fixure for my 40 breeder looking to dim them i have 45 leds twopower supllies i dont want to add 80 buckpuck drivers is there a way to dim them with just the power supplies and the leds?

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way to dim them using just the power supply. You could assemble an adjustable voltage regulator for around $20 or less in parts. This would require a little electrical knowledge, but wouldn't be that hard. Depending on how many Amps your LEDs consume you could use something like a LM317 adjustable voltage regulator. These are built into a TO-220 package and would require minimal additional parts.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a potentiometer in series with the LEDs and dim them. Make sure it is rated for the same amount of power as the supply is capable of putting out You can buy them from any electronics supply stores.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to dim LEDs is using PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)

I did one up with an Atmel Microcontroller driving an transistor

In PWM you are turning the LED on and off at a high
rate of speed to dim it you vary the on to off ratio.

It should give you a nice 0-100% dimming range

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimming LED's in series with a pot is NOT recommended. Unless you are using a very heavy duty pot then the potentiometer will fail. When the pot is turned almost to max brightness, a tiny portion of its resistance will be very hot. It is too small to dissipate the heat and will fail. It is True that PWM is the best way to dim an LED, but for a beginner it is overly complicated. Google 'LED dimmer circuit' thousands of results guaranteed. I recommend one that you feel comfortable with building. If you have questions about how to adapt a schematic to your project just post them here.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of power supply. If you just want it dimmer you could pull one power supply, and connect the series strings of LEDs in a parallel configuration. Just make sure that you unplug the drivers first.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back