How to dispose of palythoa?/soft corals

420yoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of green button polyps and pulsing xenia im trying to get rid of, does anyon know the best way to dispose of the paly's and zoanthids? I know i can bring them to the LFS but they dont want any of these corals lol. Can I just flush them down the toilet? I dont want to kill any animals in the environment because of palytoxin, thats the only thing im scared of if I flush them.

OP
OP
420yoshi

420yoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the best thing you can do is dry them and bury them in the back yard all those toxins will breakdown since they're all organic compounds.
so you dont recommending flushing the paly's? im worried that if i bury it the toxins will leach into the ground, and I have a dog who plays in the backyard lol

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'd avoid flushing stuff because some cities have storm drains in my case old pipes I wouldn't want to go chopping that stuff up more than I'd have to but I'd doubt they'd survive

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the last time I had to dispose of some I put them in two zip-lock bags and then tossed it in the trash. I was trying to take into consideration the people who pick up the bags, and did not want them to come into contact at all.

OP
OP
420yoshi

420yoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the last time I had to dispose of some I put them in two zip-lock bags and then tossed it in the trash. I was trying to take into consideration the people who pick up the bags, and did not want them to come into contact at all.
That was exactly my worry, a garbageman getting palytoxin poisoning from my careless mistake haha

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was exactly my worry, a garbageman getting palytoxin poisoning from my careless mistake haha
If your that worried then wrap it in a bunch of tin foil first then throw it away lol. Or just throw it in the trash or burry it or burn it In an outdoor fire or let it dry out on a hot roof. It’s not that bad that it’s going to poison everyone who gets into contact. The dog won’t get sick from playing in the back yard where it was burried, or you can toss it into a water drain or the bushes lol.

OP
OP
420yoshi

420yoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your that worried then wrap it in a bunch of tin foil first then throw it away lol. Or just throw it in the trash or burry it or burn it In an outdoor fire or let it dry out on a hot roof. It’s not that bad that it’s going to poison everyone who gets into contact. The dog won’t get sick from playing in the back yard where it was burried, or you can toss it into a water drain or the bushes lol.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease, ever since i started reefing I think its made my anxiety worse lol

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not gonna lie had to throw out some xenia in the past (nobody wants it!) Ziplocked then bagged a couple times and then in the trash

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Burning palythoa can be very dangerous. The toxins can aerosolize as the animal's flesh burns and cause harm to anyone in the vicinity who might inhale the fumes. Do NOT burn palythoa as a method of disposal.

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burning palythoa can be very dangerous. The toxins can aerosolize as the animal's flesh burns and cause harm to anyone in the vicinity who might inhale the fumes. Do NOT burn palythoa as a method of disposal.
I did say out door fire lol normally it’s where is highly ventilated. You wouldn’t throw it in your fire place would you!? Lol

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is an article that talks about how to neutralize palytoxin if your coral contains it. As the article mentions, this is the only way scientifically known to neutralize the toxin and left outside the toxin will not break down for years.

As has been discussed at great length in the other thread, it seems that there is no way to know for certain how much, if any, palytoxin your particular corals contain. However, if you want to be on the safe side, I would follow the procedure outlined in the article.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the same issue, I read somewhere that bleach largely killed the toxins. So I put the rocks with the plays in a bucket of bleach outside, let it sit for a week, then drained and threw out...

Eraygunz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take them.
Don’t live in SW Florida by any chance do you???
Eddie

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back