How to distinguish between alkalinity & calcium additives

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't properly label the containers when using BRS dry (soda ash & sodium bicarbonate) mixes to make more alkalinity and calcium additive solution. Now that they mixed, how can I identify the solution? Technically, the containers are labeled, but I'm not certain I paid attention to the label when mixing the solutions. The containers were cleaned so it's not a contamination issue. Can one of the standard water tests be used to identify the solution?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't properly label the containers when using BRS dry (soda ash & sodium bicarbonate) mixes to make more alkalinity and calcium additive solution. Now that they mixed, how can I identify the solution? Technically, the containers are labeled, but I'm not certain I paid attention to the label when mixing the solutions. The containers were cleaned so it's not a contamination issue. Can one of the standard water tests be used to identify the solution?

Maybe you just wrote the question wrong, but soda ash and sodium bicarbonate are both ways to raise alk and neither does Ca. You need to use Calcium Chloride to raise Ca.

And saltfilmfolks is exactly right. Take a cup of tank water out and add whatever additive you have. If it's going to raise the alk it will precipitate some white 'flakes' in the water. calcium chloride will raise Ca and will mix it like fresh water or top off water.

Both soda ash (sodium carbonate... note the missing "bi") and sodium bicarbonate will raise alk and the soda ash will, very temporarily raise pH as well. If you dose soda ash in slowly and consistently 24/7 you can raise pH a bit. But as soon as you stop, the pH will return to a slightly lower level.

OP
OP
BigHildy53

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I wrote the question wrong. I did use Calcium Chloride to mix the calcium additive.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I wrote the question wrong. I did use Calcium Chloride to mix the calcium additive.
Calcium will heat the water when dissolving as soon as it is added to the water. Can get quite warm & heat warp a plastic container.
Dissolving bicarbonate will not generate heat.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back