How to DIY/make you own acrylic lids

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made lids out of 1.5" strips of 6mm acrylic glued together. I used clear, but any color would work.

I originally made these with a 1" frame, but they were too flimsy and eventually broke in the corners. The 1.5" strips are way stronger and have been problem free.

1597796398581.png

I then made a fence jig for my router to cut an 1/8" slot. It's made from the same acrylic strips scraps and a 1/8" straight flute carbide router bit. They do make specific acrylic router bits, but they cost a lot more and the wood bit worked fine.

1597796474256.png

I then used mosquito netting I got at a local fabric store for $1 and window screen spline to hold them together.

1597796505529.png

One of the major advantages of using acrylic over the aluminum window screen kits is you can cut out grooves for cords and rounded parts for plumbing, overflows, bowfronts, etc. My return line hangs over the back and wraps around my center brace. I used a hole saw to cut a radius into a small square, that I was able to use in the corner. It's also the reason I cut the slot for the spline with a router instead of a table saw, so I could follow the radius of the cutout.

IMG_20180518_125342.jpg

First Install on the tank.

1597796551179.png

2 Years later, still going strong.

IMG_20200818_193828.jpg

1597796905826.png

I made my overflow out of glass, so I couldn't cut any teeth into the weir. I figured it was only a matter of time before some snails or fish ended up in the overflow. So I used the same method to make a screen for the overflow. The only difference was using black for the top to block light/algae and 1/4" nylon mesh instead of mosquito netting.

1597796993698.png

I added a lid for the external portion of the overflow to block light for algae. It also quiets the noise and contains any splashes.

1597797023581.png

It's barely visible when viewing the front of the tank.

1597797066223.png

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best method for cutting plates of acrylic?
I have a jigsaw, but they seem to be hard to make a nice, neat, straight line with.
Is there a bit that would fit for a Dremel?
Or possibly I should invest in a small desk scrollsaw?

Also, what's the best way to bond acrylic to acrylic? PlatstiWeld?

Thanks!

--Gray

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jigsaw, but they seem to be hard to make a nice, neat, straight line with.

Thanks!

--Gray
I have a table saw with a blade specifically made for cutting acrylic. When buying an acrylic blade buy a blade which has the most teeth you can afford, the more teeth the better the cut. Then if you wish to polish the cut, you can use an inexpensive plumbing torch and heat the cut ends until it polishes, if you don't need polish ends, skip this step

OP
OP
Ratherbeflyen

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, how did you secure the netting to the acrylic? Epoxy?

Once the frame is done and the slot is cut, lay the mosquito netting over the frame. Then you press the screen spline, its effectively a rubber rope, into the slot. Pull slightly to tension the screen on the last 2 sides. If it's not tight enough, or too tight, you can just pull the screen spline out and redo the last side or the whole thing.

IMG_20200818_205742.jpg

IMG_20200818_205708.jpg

Once you have it where you want it, trim off the excess material and you're done.

IMG_20200818_205958.jpg

Mine was starting to sag a little bit, so I just pulled the spline out to take these pictures and put it back in.

Last edited:

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the frame is done and the slot is cut, lay the mosquito netting over the frame. Then you press the screen spline, its effectively a rubber rope, into the slot. Pull slightly to tension the screen on the last 2 sides. If it's not tight enough, or too tight, you can just pull the screen spline out and redo the last side or the whole thing.

IMG_20200818_205742.jpg

IMG_20200818_205708.jpg

Once you have it where you want it, trim off the excess material and you're done.

IMG_20200818_205958.jpg

Mine was starting to sag a little bit, so I just pulled the spline out to take these pictures and put it back in.
Very smart design!!!

OP
OP
Ratherbeflyen

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

--Gray

Any reciprocating saw, like a jig saw or scrollsaw would be pretty difficult to make a good cut on acrylic. The reason is acrylic is not very stiff and it will flex and likely crack unless you can clamp it down firmly somehow.

If you're buying tools to do this, I recommend a circular saw and saw guide or at least a straight edge. Youtube would be a good place to start on how to choose one.

For acrylic glue, I used weldon 4 and applicator bottle. There are other choices for the glue, but I don't have any experience with anything beyond weldon products.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the net cord channel down towards the water or up towards your lights when usually over the tank?

OP
OP
Ratherbeflyen

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the net cord channel down towards the water or up towards your lights when usually over the tank?

I have the channel facing down towards the water, but I don't think it matters. The advantage of having it down is you can grab onto the frame from the top. If you put the netting and spline facing up, the netting completely covers the frame and it's hard to grab onto.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the channel facing down towards the water, but I don't think it matters. The advantage of having it down is you can grab onto the frame from the top. If you put the netting and spline facing up, the netting completely covers the frame and it's hard to grab onto.

Didn't even think about it that way, I was more concerned about water and salt creep building up in the channel if they were facing up. Great points, thank you.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ratherbeflyen I am in the process of going to do something similar and was curious as to the size that your lids were, length and width. I have one tank that is 30" in length and was wondering if I woud get to much flex out of that length with 1 1/2" width strips. I am also thinking about just using a sheet and cutting out the middle but that would be a lot of waste but would look nicer, thanks for posting this....:)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ratherbeflyen I am in the process of going to do something similar and was curious as to the size that your lids were, length and width. I have one tank that is 30" in length and was wondering if I woud get to much flex out of that length with 1 1/2" width strips. I am also thinking about just using a sheet and cutting out the middle but that would be a lot of waste but would look nicer, thanks for posting this....:)
All depends how thick of material you use.. acrylic will warp also no matter what anyone says unless the water isn’t near it.. lexan aka polycarbonate is what you wanna use.. one single piece is ideal but gluing corners works just kinda cheesy and can break easily. I’ve made about 100 so far and I hate the things… :grinning-squinting-face: I use 3/8” polycarbonate myself.. I’ve tried 1/2” acrylic and the corners will lift a good 1/4” easily as the acrylic absorbs water on one side.
3930E553-D8F5-4842-8AEF-3DC303D4F35F.jpeg
F056DA9A-1B75-4F48-AC1C-A52161C85B9B.jpeg
008AD939-F797-40A3-9717-1AD2A404BA71.png
F5EF4B18-493C-48F1-A3A4-AA2A3D5BF89A.jpeg

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends how thick of material you use.. acrylic will warp also no matter what anyone says unless the water isn’t near it.. lexan aka polycarbonate is what you wanna use.. one single piece is ideal but gluing corners works just kinda cheesy and can break easily. I’ve made about 100 so far and I hate the things… :grinning-squinting-face: I use 3/8” polycarbonate myself.. I’ve tried 1/2” acrylic and the corners will lift a good 1/4” easily as the acrylic absorbs water on one side.
3930E553-D8F5-4842-8AEF-3DC303D4F35F.jpeg
F056DA9A-1B75-4F48-AC1C-A52161C85B9B.jpeg
008AD939-F797-40A3-9717-1AD2A404BA71.png
F5EF4B18-493C-48F1-A3A4-AA2A3D5BF89A.jpeg

Awesome that is what I am looking for, so I need to look for polycarbonate vs acrylis, what thickness do I want to go with, still 1/4" or 6mm? Your using 3/8"....One tank has a center brace so the span is not wide at all, the other tank the length will be around 30". Would love to see more details on your set up, how your doing things etc...but I really want to ditch my aluminum screen stuff...:)

But to cheap to go and buy the pre made ones, they are rather expensive...

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp Polycarbonate is much more expensive, lol....will have to think about this some more...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome that is what I am looking for, so I need to look for polycarbonate vs acrylis, what thickness do I want to go with, still 1/4" or 6mm? Your using 3/8"....One tank has a center brace so the span is not wide at all, the other tank the length will be around 30". Would love to see more details on your set up, how your doing things etc...but I really want to ditch my aluminum screen stuff...:)

But to cheap to go and buy the pre made ones, they are rather expensive...
1/4” will work but it’s kinda flimsy.. poly won’t break or crack thou it’s bullet proof. So if you can deal with flex it’s not a issue.. 3/8” is ideal as I like to route it 3/16” deep and use 1/8” spline… you’ll also want to ease the edges of the groove with a razor blade or sand paper etc! This will help from the mesh cutting when putting it in with the spline.. I have thousands of diy projects on this board from 2008 or something till today.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back