How to do light acclimation to 165W BB light for 10 gal tank with all groups of corals?

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought 165W black box LED lights for 10 gal tank and really need some advice on what setting to begin with, how soon increase to the next step, and what should be a maximum settings for this tank. And how high it should be above the tank. Was thinking about 10-12" above the water, and there is a glass lid on the tank.

Have all kinds of corals there, starting with requiring 50 PAR and ending with montis, porites and acros. Any considerations to make transition to a new light safe, without burning corals.

Have no PAR meter, unfortunately, only LUX meter.

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That's an insane upgrade for a 10g. I honestly wouldn't attempt this without a par meter, and I would mount the light 2 feet above the tank.

OP
OP
D

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be helpful to know what light you're upgrading from.
Corals that will go there are now in two 5 gal tanks:

- one with two PAR38 Tuna Blue LED bulbs, as reef vases use,
- another has mixed light from two fixtures: top shelf from Lifegard Power 2 14" LED, bottom from Nicrew Saltwater LED 18-24". More even distributed light.

Wills 165W BB LED can be adjusted to very low intensity, blue and white channels separately, blue to weaker than a moonlight from other economy lights.

OP
OP
D

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That's an insane upgrade for a 10g. I honestly wouldn't attempt this without a par meter, and I would mount the light 2 feet above the tank.
Thank you, will increase height. The same was adviced in BRS comparison of several BB lights that I found later, for making the less pointed beams.

Another option, for the same goal, is to remove lenses for diodes and add acrylic or frosted acrylic panel.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back