How to dry out kalk slurry without a desiccator?

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so this is a bit of a weird one. I decided I wanted to try kalk to see if I like it, so I made a small batch of calcium hydroxide with some calcium chloride and sodium hydroxide. Figuring I can buy some kalk if I actually wanted to start using it (I know kalk is cheap as it is but I like making things myself for the fun of it lol. And I only needed a small amount).

I made the batch about 2 weeks ago, let it settle and poured off the water on top. I thought I could let the rest evaporate but the crusty film it forms seems to stop all the evaporation.

Would I be able to dry it out in the oven? If so what temperature would be ok to use?
I don’t have a desiccator handy so I was wondering what other options I have.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to need to dry it out? Just seal it up from air and it will be ok.

industrially it is made by blasting calcium carbonate with heat, driving off CO2 and water.

OP
OP
T

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to need to dry it out? Just seal it up from air and it will be ok.

No I guess that could work too! I thought it might be easier to measure dry and add to my ato. I’m thinking I’d barely be anywhere close to reaching saturation and measuring by weight might help me do that a bit more accurately. But having it wet already shouldn’t stop me from what I want to do. Thanks!

industrially it is made by blasting calcium carbonate with heat, driving off CO2 and water.
This also has me a bit curious lol. Could I also do this by heating some Marco rock in a kiln or furnace? I’ve done similar with limestone before to make cement and didn’t realize it was the same thing haha.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I guess that could work too! I thought it might be easier to measure dry and add to my ato. I’m thinking I’d barely be anywhere close to reaching saturation and measuring by weight might help me do that a bit more accurately. But having it wet already shouldn’t stop me from what I want to do. Thanks!

This also has me a bit curious lol. Could I also do this by heating some Marco rock in a kiln or furnace? I’ve done similar with limestone before to make cement and didn’t realize it was the same thing haha.

If you have a kiln, then possibly. You need to get to about 700 deg C.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back