How to easily inject water into brs co2 scrubber

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure this is correct due to the fact that how will it go down and stay down as it runs it’s still sucking co2 from my basement past the skillet lid. Where do you think the air comes from that goes thru skimmer? Ambient air that’s around skimmer which is high co2 basement air unless you pull it from fresh air source
It’s not pulling in outside or room air. The skimmer is taking air from CO2 Scrubber, doing it’s skimming, and returning that exact same air to the skimmer cup - which then feeds the CO2 scrubber. Closed loop!

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not pulling in outside or room air. The skimmer is taking air from CO2 Scrubber, doing it’s skimming, and returning that exact same to the skimmer cup - which then feeds the CO2 scrubber. Closed loop!
I totally understand I’m just saying I don’t think it works as a complete closed system like you think it is. Air must be pulled from somewhere and it will be from the house. Even if it 10-20% air being sucked past the lid it’s still something. Looks like I’m gunna have to experiment

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand I’m just saying I don’t think it works as a complete closed system like you think it is. Air must be pulled from somewhere and it will be from the house. Even if it 10-20% air being sucked past the lid it’s still something. Looks like I’m gunna have to experiment
It’s gotta be a pretty closed system if the CO2 media lasts 5 months when the air is recycled…

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what he's trying to say is that in a recirc setup a lot of the air is coming from the bubbles in the skimmer and recirc'ing back into the CO2 scrubber line.

The positive pressure pushing air from the skimmer back out through the vent holes in the lid is what keeps the scrubber from pulling CO2 rich air from your room.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what he's trying to say is that in a recirc setup a lot of the air is coming from the bubbles in the skimmer and recirc'ing back into the CO2 scrubber line.

The positive pressure pushing air from the skimmer back out through the vent holes in the lid is what keeps the scrubber from pulling CO2 rich air from your room.
Ahhhhh that makes a little sense :)

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But I thought when running recirc you supposta close up all those holes but either way yes there is positive pressure

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the logic but I didn't fully trust it so I recirc'd my air line through the skimmer and then plumbed external air in using the ozone port on my skimmer pump volute.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the logic but I didn't fully trust it so I recirc'd my air line through the skimmer and then plumbed external air in using the ozone port on my skimmer pump volute.
But again that only pulls ambient air from around skimmer in. In my case it’s very high co2 air

Saltydog69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure this is correct due to the fact that how will it go down and stay down as it runs it’s still sucking co2 from my basement past the skimmer lid. Where do you think the air comes from that goes thru skimmer? Ambient air that’s around skimmer which is high co2 basement air unless you pull it from fresh air source
the only air your skimmer is pulling is from the c02 media chamber... so from the media chamber into skimmer body then into lid and back into media chamber, then back into skimmer, im telling you from personal experience, my meida lasted one week when I bought my first c02 scrubber, now im a tight butt mind you... so I thought no way. no way in hell im refilling this thing every week just for my ph.. that's when I found the recirc method... fast forward 3 months and I now see how important ph is... my coral have never looked so good. they are consuming 4x the amount of alk they used to and I test 4 times a day via the trident.. ph is more important than alk in my eyes... way more. chase ph and you will not have to chase alk.. even if I had to refill that cartridge every week still. I would do it. its worth every penny...

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No - You tape up the vent holes in the skimmer cup lid! Minimal outside air in the closed loop.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - You tape up the vent holes in the skimmer cup lid! Minimal outside air in the closed loop.
07BE636A-E9B3-4DBD-BAB7-60E06D3AD188.jpeg

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer shutoff float value should skimmer cup full with skimmate. Don’t want this stuff going into CO2 scrubber.
Hmmm exactly that could be a problem with how fast my cup fills and often over flows. Would have to do same

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm exactly that could be a problem with how fast my cup fills and often over flows. Would have to do same
Or put in container to capture excess skimmate.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or put in container to capture excess skimmate.
That may be even more risky. Have you ever had a fleece roller advance to much fleece and skimmer goes crazy for a day. My floor would have gallons on it. Starting to see why I choose the outside air route

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol back to my original question in post 1 does anyone know an easy way to inject water into brs co2 scrubber canister other then unscrew and add ?

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda seems like you worked all the angles on this and that's how you arrived at your current setup.

And this is just a system limitation of the best case scenario you chose.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back