How to easily inject water into brs co2 scrubber

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have enough space to plumb an RO canister just upstream of your scrubber?

If so you could fill the empty housing with water and input air would pass over it en route to the scrubber.

I've seen this done crudely with a water bottle.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an idea. Add a shut off valve and a T fittings to your air intake line. Use the valve to keep the T closed on one end till you need to add water. Use a syringe or small pump with another valve to control flow rate and add your water through the T to your intake line. If your intake is up stream and your worried about water going the opposite direction back to the skimmer, then add another shut off valve to force water the other direction

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also put a port on the scrubber housing with an airline tubing barb facing out.

And then configure like this:
ATO reservoir >>> Arline tubing >>> Aqualifter >>> Arline tubing >>> barb installed on the scrubber canister.

And then plug the Aqualifter into an Apex outlet and program that outlet to turn on every few days for 30sec.

This would put about 110ml (based on the 3.5gph rating of the Aqualifter) into the scrubber chamber at whatever frequency you decide.

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the recycling. It’s also helps the CO2 media last for months.
A6C33905-10D2-4B0C-A627-7E6A006BD646.jpeg
+1 on this. It may not leave an inch of water at the bottom but the humidity keeps the media moist and it lasts a lot longer.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But again that only pulls ambient air from around skimmer in. In my case it’s very high co2 air

Naw, I feed in air from outside the house to the ozone port.

In my application I noticed when I did only recirc with all other holes taped, if I connected a secondary air line to my ozone port, a significant amount of air was pulled through the secondary line.

I really only use the skimmer for gas exchange anymore so I prioritized that and plumbed the second line outside so I wasn't air limited in my config.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - You tape up the vent holes in the skimmer cup lid! Minimal outside air in the closed loop.

Really we agree. Positive pressure in the cup from the bubbles popping is what makes taping the lid work.

If there were negative pressure air from the room would just get sucked in through the ages you haven't taped.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naw, I feed in air from outside the house to the ozone port.

In my application I noticed when I did only recirc with all other holes taped, if I connected a secondary air line to my ozone port, a significant amount of air was pulled through the secondary line.

I really only use the skimmer for gas exchange anymore so I prioritized that and plumbed the second line outside so I wasn't air limited in my config.
Do you happen to have a couple pics of this so I could see what you mean

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also put a port on the scrubber housing with an airline tubing barb facing out.

And then configure like this:
ATO reservoir >>> Arline tubing >>> Aqualifter >>> Arline tubing >>> barb installed on the scrubber canister.

And then plug the Aqualifter into an Apex outlet and program that outlet to turn on every few days for 30sec.

This would put about 110ml (based on the 3.5gph rating of the Aqualifter) into the scrubber chamber at whatever frequency you decide.
This might actually be a great idea. With aqua lifter when off air will not flow thru it so that good would not need to close a valve. Only issue I see is I have to do this to 4 canisters as I run 2 dual co2 scrubbers so possibly would need 4 separate lifter pump setups unless I could t them and get equal water to come out from both sides then I only need 2. Hmmmmmmm I’m gunna kick this around a bit

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you opened one of the black caps on the bottom. If it is a port you could put a tube on it and fill it with water making a trap. Tie the 2 traps together and you only have one place to add water.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you opened one of the black caps on the bottom. If it is a port you could put a tube on it and fill it with water making a trap. Tie the 2 traps together and you only have one place to add water.
This was my original thoughts was gunna find a way to push water up thru those black caps on bottom. Was curious if anyone else has and what they used so I did not have to start from scratch

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking I would drill and tap black cap to install a 1/4 push fitting then small 1/4 hose to a 1/4 valve then use a 10ml syringe open valve push fluid thru then close valve

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use a t fitting, 1/4” push on both side and the T with a gravity feed water container. T between both canisters. Then Put a 1/4” valve to open the gravity, and then to turn it off?

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use a t fitting, 1/4” push on both side and the T with a gravity feed water container. T between both canisters. Then Put a 1/4” valve to open the gravity, and then to turn it off?
Wow now that is a great idea thank you so much.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all still depends on if I could successfully drill and tap the bottom black cap to get push fitting in it. If I screw it up will be 200$ mistake cause I’m sure the cap is special.

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all still depends on if I could successfully drill and tap the bottom black cap to get push fitting in it. If I screw it up will be 200$ mistake cause I’m sure the cap is special.
I just drilled my Nyos skimmer cup…use a step drill bit and slow and steady. I’m sure you can always salvage with sylicone or glue if all fails.

but yes drilling the small drain cap shouldn’t be that bad.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at video I just posted. I queued it up.
Atlas Filtri, made in Italy.
This looks like who makes the canisters.

Back