How to feed dwarf lion fish in large reef tank?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added ghost shrimp and the shrimp dashed right inside the rocks before the lion fish even saw it. I have little damsels in the tank, but I don’t think these lion fish can fit them in their mouth. What live foods are my best option? I can do either saltwater or freshwater, but I need something slow that can fit in the lionfish’s mouth. I’d prefer freshwater to limit amount of potential parasites they will introduce

B4874296-4780-4D30-8738-7C3EC1E54BFC.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a challenge for dwarf lions in a community tank, and the larger the tank more of a challenge. 1st off, did you establish a good feeding routine before you added him into the display. Dwarf lions that did not get an established feeding routine in an observation tank before adding to a community tank ,makes it even harder. Ghost shrimp, guppies, and mollies are the preferred live food.

Try catching his attention then adding a ghostie that he sees you introduce. You can use a rigid airline to use as a stick to herd the ghostie towards the lion to catch his attention. These sticks are flexible so you can bend them to get around rocks to chase the ghostie, same with a guppy, mollies will likely be too large unless you have access to babies. You can herd the ghostie across the sandbed towards the lion's view. Hopefully there are no other fish interested, other faster more aggressive fish also makes it hard in a community tank. If this is the case, you'll also have to guard off the other fish. Once established and the lion recognizes you as his feeder, learns the signs of your feeding, and gets more familiar and confident hunting in the tank, it will get easier.

Back